Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fed loan servicing loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

fed loan servicing loan

I am on disability and was told it might be possible to have my loan waived if i faxed my case information   

is this information correct?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RootDet
Established Contributor

Re: fed loan servicing loan

That would depend if these are private student loans or federal student loans. Private loans would be likely no such luck.

IF you can prove you meet the definition of a disability, you can apply for a discharge with department of ED. The application is available online and PDF at https://www.disabilitydischarge.com/

Here is how you prove you are disabled:

You can show that you are totally and permanently disabled in one of the following three ways:

1) If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.
2) If you are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can submit a Social Security Administration (SSA) notice of award for SSDI or SSI benefits stating that your next scheduled disability review will be within five to seven years from the date of your most recent SSA disability determination.
3) You can submit certification from a physician that you are totally and permanently disabled. Your physician must certify that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment that
- Can be expected to result in death,
- Has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months, or
- Can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months.

Message 2 of 3
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: fed loan servicing loan

Back in the day I had my loan removed, about 25k because I became disabled soon after grad (Techinally I was collecting SSD during school, just got worse). It wasn't that hard of a proscess for me.. My Dad actually spoke with the people and I had a signed document from my doctor. With my medical history. Took less than week or so overall. This was early 90's.. Not sure if things changed. Good luck.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.