cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

financial aid without filling federal income tax?

tag
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

financial aid without filling federal income tax?

hello everyone, i was wondering if it is still possible to get some type of financial aid without your parents filling their tax return the current year??? I did filed my would that help???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: financial aid without filling federal income tax?

anybody???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That data must be provided UNLESS you are considered an Independent Student-

Your Parents are required to file the taxes- or no Federal FinAid  

You would need to answer YES to one of the questions bellow-
  1. You are enrolled in a Masters program, Doctorate Degree, or graduate Certification program

• age does not matter, if you are enrolled in any of these types of programs you are considered and independent student
  2. You have a child or children that are your legal dependent(s)

• you may have a family member etc. that is considered your dependent…he/she does not necessarily have to be a child
  3. You are married
  4. You are under the age of 24 and both of your parents are deceased
  5. You were a ward of your state until you were 18 years of age
  6. You are 24 years of age or older
  7. You are a Veteran of the United States Armed Force

Message 3 of 10
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Thank You.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's actually not necessarily true that your parents have to file their taxes.  The important thing was WHY didnt they file their taxes?  Did they make less than the minimum necessary to file taxes??  If not, how did they support themselves.  They can use their W2's (if any) to fill in the income portions, but be prepared to have to write an explanation letter to tell DOE how they supported themselves.  If it is not the case that they made too little money, be prepared to write an explanation why they didnt file.  The important thing is dont lie.  You can get screwed royally.  Also, your parents can still file, so if you want to avoid the explanation letters, encourage them to file.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

shyboy wrote:
 I did filed my would that help???

How old are you if you dont mind me asking? Do you consider your self a dependet or independent? Thats what makes the difference, on whos tax info they need!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe you have to have some form from the IRS stating that they did not file. I had a friend who had not filed in several years because she had been sick and out of work. She decided to go back to school a few years ago. She had to get some forms from the IRS stating she hadn't filed in order to process her financial aid.

I am not sure of any of the specifics of it though.

I found this:

How do I answer the tax questions if I (or my parents) don't file a tax return?

• If you will not file a tax return:Answer “Will Not File” to question 32 (Have you completed a tax return?).
  • You will then be taken to question 38 (Income earned from work).
  • Enter any income that you earned from a job that is listed as taxed on a W2 form.
  • Answer only those income questions that apply to you from that point on.

If your parents will not file a tax return:

• Answer “Will Not File” to question 76 (Have your parents filed a tax return?) .
  • You will then be taken to question 82 (income earned from work).
  • Enter any income that your parents earned from a job that is listed as taxed on a W2 form.
  • Answer only those income questions that apply to your parents from that point on.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq002.htm

I think if you put "will not file" you will be flagged for verification. This is where the part about getting a form from the IRS that I described above comes in.

Message 7 of 10
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

thanks for all the response. i'm 19 starting college. My dad actually file his 2007 income tax but was mis placed and he can't seem to find it. I sent all my other paper to the financial office in the school i'm planning to attend but the only thing they need is my fathers federal income tax.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

shyboy wrote:
thanks for all the response. i'm 19 starting college. My dad actually file his 2007 income tax but was mis placed and he can't seem to find it. I sent all my other paper to the financial office in the school i'm planning to attend but the only thing they need is my fathers federal income tax.

If he filed, it would be fraud to say he didn't file or will not file.

If he used a tax preparer, they should have a copy of his taxes.

If not, you can get a transcript of your taxes or a complete copy of your taxes from the IRS. Check out www.irs.gov for more information. I know you can get a transcript from your local field office, but not sure about the complete copy.
Message 9 of 10
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much everyone. He requested a second from the IRS website.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.