Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to find out my student loan balance

tag
loveluigi
New Visitor

how to find out my student loan balance

My student loans from 20 years ago are with West asset management.  I called them to obtain more information and though they gave me a balance they refused to send me any documentation that would show this balance.  I would like to pay it off but dont know if I can trust them or how to ensure it is done legitimately.

any advise would be very helpful

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: how to find out my student loan balance

@loveluigi wrote:

My student loans from 20 years ago are with West asset management.  I called them to obtain more information and though they gave me a balance they refused to send me any documentation that would show this balance.  I would like to pay it off but dont know if I can trust them or how to ensure it is done legitimately.

any advise would be very helpful

Are these federal or private student loans?   Also is anything showing on your credit reports?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
loveluigi
New Visitor

I am not sure of that however when I declared bankcrupcy a few years back, my student loans were not able to be 'written off' or eliminated.  also, my credit report is horrible because of these.

Message 3 of 4
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

If they're federal loans, you should be able to find info about them here

http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.