Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loans rehab'd...offset question

tag
IrishUpstart
Established Member

loans rehab'd...offset question

Student loan was successfully rehab'd in early june. Received"congratulations" letter and another that loan was transferred. I made a payment on the 11th of this month. How long does it take for tax offset to be lifted?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: loans rehab'd...offset question

It should happen fairly quickly, if it hasn't already.  Some CAs will remove the offset after a certain number of payments (6, maybe?).  The IRS has a hotline that you can call to check your offset status - I would start there, and then make an inquiry with the CA if you still have the offset.

Message 2 of 5
tcr300
Established Member

Putting the same question here, as it's exactly the same really.  Hope it's ok to jump in here.

I made my final rehab payment the first week of April, and SallieMae picked up my loans 60 days later in June.   I did my rehab through GC services.  They told me that they didn't send the info to the tax offset dept of the treasury, that the new lender picking up the loan would send the all clear after they were assigned the loans. 

I called the tax offset line back then and it listed the dept of education as the people to contact.  I called them in the hopes that I might just be lucky and the tax offset would be removed as I was nearing rehab completion.  Dept of education said the rehab has to be completed first, and nothing would be lifted early.

Well fast forward to a bit more recently.  Sallie Mae has the loans, and I've already made my first payment.  Two actually, as I paid some money early.  I was patient knowing these things can creep very slowly so I'm trying to be patient.  I gave it about 30 days because in the call back in April to the Dept of Education, the rep told me that the treasury dept doesn't do anything faster than 30 days.

So back around July 9th, I called Sallie Mae.  Very nice rep, but also didn't seem to know too much about how the sytem worked.  I say that, as she told me those exact words lol.  But she said she was sure that they didn't handle the removal of the tax offset "flag".  She stated the Dept of Education did.  So I called them back right after speaking with Sallie Mae.  Another really nice person on the other end of the phone at the Dept of Education.  She stated that my paperwork "cleared" and passed through their office on June 9th, and stated as in the first call that it takes about 30 days, but in the same breath said the tax offset list is updated daily *shrug*. 

So since this was right at the 30 day mark ( June 9th according to her and the call was July 9th.) I've just been checking the offest hotline number daily.  No dice.  She had asked me on the phone call if I needed the treasury number, and I repeated the 1-800 line from memory, and asked her if there was another one, or a way to get a live person.She said that was the only number the Dept of Education had for them.

I'd love to get this resolved, as I've held off filing since I have a decent sum coming back and I could really use it right now.

Anyone have any suggestions? or a contact number other than the 1-800 automated line?  Also, can someone here tell me if it's actually the new lender that forwards the info to the treasury offset unit or in this case if it would be the Delp of Education, as the automated line says contact?

Thanks all

Cap 1 Venture | Chase Sapphire Preferred | AMEX EveryDay | Citi AAdvantage | US Airways Dividend Miles |SportsmansGuide Visa | Barclaycard Rewards | Cap 1 Quicksilver One | Cap 1 Platinum | Victoria Secrets | BOA Travel Rewards Preferred | Around 766 FiCOs currently
Message 3 of 5
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen to me with GC/Sallie Mae about 8 months ago.

I contacted Sallie Mae by email for it, and was told their policy was to cancel the treasury offset after the 4th rehab payment.  I made sure to email them the instant my 4th rehab payment posted, and they cancelled the offset within a couple of weeks.  

Hope that helps!

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 4 of 5
tcr300
Established Member

Following up just in case it helps someone out down the road.  I ended up being told by the Dept of Education that they had indeed sent notification to remove the offset and it would be 30 days.  Called back at the 45 day mark as I was still listed, and spoke to a helpful gentleman who said, " Oh I can ask for that to be lifted sir, one second....ok sir, you should be clear in about 30 days."  So it pays to stay on top of things.  They didn't remove me automatically.  ( Although I think it was just an error and not common etc)

Cap 1 Venture | Chase Sapphire Preferred | AMEX EveryDay | Citi AAdvantage | US Airways Dividend Miles |SportsmansGuide Visa | Barclaycard Rewards | Cap 1 Quicksilver One | Cap 1 Platinum | Victoria Secrets | BOA Travel Rewards Preferred | Around 766 FiCOs currently
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.