Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my student loans disappeared???

tag
superdad
Regular Contributor

my student loans disappeared???

My student loans are no longer on my CR and havent been for a few years.  I know i owe about 10k and when i called, no one can seem to find it or if it was sent to a collection agency.  Not sure what to do??  I was planing on trying to get a home loan in about 7-9 months but not sure if this loan would show up?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Sock
Valued Member

Re: my student loans disappeared???

If it was me, I'd pull all 3 credit reports and see if it is gone off of them, too. If it's gone everywhere for a few years, it's highly unlikely it's going to suddenly show up just before you apply for loan.

But dang... I'm jealous! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

What type of loan was it?  If it was a federal loan, try the National Student Loan Data System (www.nslds.ed.gov).  For private loans, you'll need to get in touch with the last known servicer and see if they can tell you where the loan was transferred or sold.

How old is the loan?  Do you know when it defaulted?  If it is a private loan, it may be past the statute of limitations for your state, and possibly past the reporting period as well.

Message 3 of 7
superdad
Regular Contributor

They were Fed loans from back on 1999-2001.  I did try to look it up on NSLDS but couldnt find anything.  My biggest concern is when i go for a home loan and it pops up in CAIVRS or if it even will?  I do know back in the day i owed about 10k.  I did pull all 3 CR and it shows nothing.

Message 4 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

Federal student loans have no statute of limitations, and they can show back up on your reports at any time until you pay them.  I don't know if there's a way to check CAIVRS yourself, but you might look into that.  Another thought might be to contact the Student Loan Ombudsman.  I'm suprised your loans aren't in the NSLDS, but perhaps it doesn't have historic data going back that far.

You're right to be concerned if you're considering a federally-backed mortgage, you don't want this to throw a wrench in the works at the last minute.

Were any of your tax returns seized?  Were you ever garnished?  It is possible that the loans have been paid off through one of those means.

Message 5 of 7
superdad
Regular Contributor

My taxes were never taking to pay them.  I did find a number to call and i am going to do that first thing tomorrow.

Message 6 of 7
Jesi
New Contributor

Mine was first reported through Sallie Mae, that's still on there, but it's showing in good standing as being paid every month even though it was sold years ago. Mine is no longer showing up on my credit report, however they try to steal our tax return for it every year. I wouldn't care, but I'm not working and my husband is not reponsible for a debt that is older than we were together. We have to file forms to keep them from taking it every year. I'm not sure if it will pop up again, I'm fearful. I'm angry because they took our state return last year. It didn't go towards the debt, it literally is sitting in limbo. The state says they gave it to the company we owe, and the company we owe said they didn't receive it because we filed the nonobligated spouse form and therefore the money was never sent to them. We're really not sure what to do in our case because neither one apprently has the money, and we could really use it either for bills or to pay that debt.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.