Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help

tag
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

need help

I need a student loan. With my scores and 13 recent inquires 7 for mortgages

I tried sallie mae no dice then again I requested too much.

Which banks are easy to work with
On my phone apologies for the errors.

Starting Score: 501 EX FAKO
Current Score: 745TU Fico
Current Score:714EQ Fico
Current Score: 742 fico

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: need help

Did you fill out the FAFSA?  Are you maxed out on federal loans?  If you haven't looked into it, I would start there Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

Did you fill out the FAFSA?  Are you maxed out on federal loans?  If you haven't looked into it, I would start there Smiley Happy

Totally. Pineapple, what's going on? I thought things were going really well for you, finance-wise....

Message 3 of 6
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

They're good. Smiley Happy I offered to help my brother go back to school
On my phone apologies for the errors.

Starting Score: 501 EX FAKO
Current Score: 745TU Fico
Current Score:714EQ Fico
Current Score: 742 fico

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Oh, good. I was a touch worried.

Does your brother not qualify for federal loans? For a variety of reasons, I'd exhaust that option first - you could always help him out by making the payments for him.
Message 5 of 6
kjel
Established Contributor

+1

No offense, but I'd think 1,000 times over before signing or cosigning on someone else's student loans because you are on the hook if and when they don't pay. Private student loans also have very few protections unlike the federal student loans.

Have him fill out the FAFSA form and exhaust his own financial aid options before signing on the dotted line. As someone else said, you can always make payments to help him out.

FWIW, I have a college age daughter and I let her know from the outset that I would not be cosigning for any of her student loans or obtaining student loans on her behalf. She's managed to pay for her first two years with very little debt so far, only a $900 Perkins loan. I told her it was the biggest gift she could give herself to not start out life with crushing debt.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.