Frequent Contributor
pjxf99

"student" status

This isn't precisely a student loan question, but I guess in a way it is.

I've been out of school for 14 years (sheesh!) and I'm going to grad school this fall. My question is, should I apply for credit under "student" status; would that help or hurt me?

Do they assume that you aren't making any money, so you get a low CLI, or that you have loans and the potential of more money later on, so you get decent cards? Are there different standards for undergrad/grad?

I know being a student does help me get into my state's credit union, so I'll be taking advantage of that. Should I do that now, before I fill out the student loan apps? Or at the same time, in a month or two?

Any other advice?
FAKO TU: 730 (Too poor to check the real scores these days!)
Regular Contributor
specultr

x

[ Edited ]

Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: "student" status

IF you have an established credit history- I would not bother with the student status (except to get in with your local CU)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+