should i consolidate??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i consolidate??

i have two student loans:

$6,500 at 6.550%

$2,500 at 5%

my payments are $82 and $50 ($34 of the $82 monthly payment goes interest - gross.)

is consolidating a good idea??

thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: should i consolidate??

@Anonymous wrote:

i have two student loans:

$6,500 at 6.550%

$2,500 at 5%

my payments are $82 and $50 ($34 of the $82 monthly payment goes interest - gross.)

is consolidating a good idea??

thanks!

IMHO, don't consolidate, the amounts are too low to give you any significant benefit. I would recommend making larger payments toward principle to reduce the amount of interest you pay and keep it in good standing and pay it off as soon as financially feasable as most of them don't have pre-payment penalty. It would serve you better and without the addition of a new installment loan and the AAoA will remain more productive for you. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these the only loans you have?

Are they variable or fixed?

The 5% loan looks like a fixed rate Perkins...don't consolidate Perkins loans.

The 6.55% is probably a variable which will drop with the reset in July. At the low payments your making it seems you will paying for awhile ..like 6 years. If you are going to be paying over six years then consolidating this loan is probably a good idea. If you are consolidating DONT DO IT TILL THE RESET IN JULY!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the 5% is a Perkins. And thanks for the info on the reset in July. 

I also have an auto loan, but that's it. No home/mortgage.  Why would this matter? 

Message 4 of 7
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes the 5% is a Perkins. And thanks for the info on the reset in July. 

I also have an auto loan, but that's it. No home/mortgage.  Why would this matter? 

If you had more student loans, then it might be worth it, that's why it matters. But I already assumed this is all you had and hence my advice. Not enough to be worth it and would do you better to pay it as is.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should I consolidate??

How does AAOA work for installment loans?  I understand not to close credit cards but all installment loans close when they are paid in full?

I have two student loans and have been aggressively paying them down so as to help my score.  I have one still in deferment that I have paid down 1/3......Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

colbymcolby

Message 6 of 7
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: should I consolidate??

@Anonymous wrote:

How does AAOA work for installment loans?  I understand not to close credit cards but all installment loans close when they are paid in full?

I have two student loans and have been aggressively paying them down so as to help my score.  I have one still in deferment that I have paid down 1/3......Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

colbymcolby

Yes but the date of which they were opened goes toward your AAoA, even when they are paid as long as they remain on your report.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.