cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple student loan questions. Probably even stupid ones.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

simple student loan questions. Probably even stupid ones.

How hard is it to get a student loan these days? How are the loan amounts determined? How often do you need a loan? Do you borrow every year, semester, or just once?

I am going to speak with admissions next week.

I am fed up with my job and want to off myself. (not literally) I want to attend school full time.

I am 32, I have no credit card debt, I owe $12,500 on my car and I can live at home if need be.

I would be willing to participate in a work study program to generate extra money, but I want to know if it is possible to borrow my way through college?

I don't want to take 2 hours at night and spend 15 years getting a 4 year degree. My credit is less than steller, but my scores are all around 715.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: simple student loan questions. Probably even stupid ones.

Read the financial aid page of the school of your choice.That right there will give you a lot of information.  

First you will need to fill out a FAFSA    http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/index.jsp  Good reading here!!

There are a lot of variables that will determine if loans will cover your entire tution.  Type of school is key....if you are planning on going to a community college or state university, aid may cover most to all of it.  If you are planning to attend a private college or for profit private training college, then no...it definately will not cover your expenses.  Your age helps...you are considered an independant student and you qualify for a lot more aid than a student coming out of high school.

@Anonymous wrote:

How hard is it to get a student loan these days? How are the loan amounts determined? How often do you need a loan? Do you borrow every year, semester, or just once?

I am going to speak with admissions next week.

I am fed up with my job and want to off myself. (not literally) I want to attend school full time.

I am 32, I have no credit card debt, I owe $12,500 on my car and I can live at home if need be.

I would be willing to participate in a work study program to generate extra money, but I want to know if it is possible to borrow my way through college?

I don't want to take 2 hours at night and spend 15 years getting a 4 year degree. My credit is less than steller, but my scores are all around 715.

Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.