Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

student loan question

today my husband recieved a call from a collections agency regarding a debt from Sallie Mae that stopped reporting on his credit report in 2010.  So as he was explaining this to me I started thinking "wait do you owe on a student loan?"  turns out he defaulted in 2003!  so now I am wondering if this will appear on the CAIVRS list or not.  I am not sure if it is a federal or private loan as Sallie Mae offers both.  He said the balance was $3K.  In his defense, he had never heard of the CAVAIRS and neither had I until I started coming to this site.  Not sure what to do.......The ca is not reporting this debt on is credit report...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: student loan question

It is indeed a private loan.

Message 2 of 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

Has he gotten any paperwork from the collection agency, & does he have any of the original paperwork (in case he needs it)?

Do you have the money to pay it?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No to all three questions. It was a private loan and the dofd was in 2003.
Message 4 of 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of CAIVRS either.  I'm not sure what I would do.  I guess I would wait to see if I got any paperwork about it & see if they are offering me any repayment options.  Private loans, unfortunately, are quite a hassle from what I hear on these forums Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.