Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loan vent

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

student loan vent

I feel like such an idiot for wasting a year Devry and taking out student loans that are still haunting me 10 years later and no degree to show for it.
I have a $10k student loan that I defaulted, rehabbed, then defaulted again. It's been assigned to the guarantee agency NYSHESC and is considered a collection account.
I have been paying NYSHESC monthly since 2012.
Despite several phone calls to nyshesc I JUST found out I am eligible to consolidate (waiting for application to go thru now) I guess in the past when I called them and asked how can I get the loan to show current I didn't phrase my question exactly the right away, but how can I ask about something I wasn't aware of? (I had heard of consolidating but thought that it didn't apply to me since I only had 1 student loan).

I am so upset that i have wasted over 2 years paying on a collection account when i could have been paying on a consolidated loan. I understand that consolidating won't fix the default but at least i would have had a new positive tradeline that would have some age on it already.

I don't know if I'm more mad at myself for taking out the loans in the first place, or defaulting twice, or for taking the word of the reps at nyshesc.

Before you are granted any kind of loan it should be a prerequisite to take a credit counseling class.
End of rant.....
Question, do you think I'm listed in the caivrs database? Yes the loan is defaulted but does the fact that I'm paying it back to the government monthly help? Would I call the dept of ed to find out? I just want to know if I need to take extra steps after the consolidation to make sure I'm removed from the database since I don't feel I can trust the advise of the reps over the phone at these places.
Thanks for reading
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: student loan vent

See if you can rehab the loan first before consolidation.  I didn't rehab first and the default annotations are still on my report.  By rehabbing the loan first before consoldiation they're required to remove all the default annotations.  Who was the original servicer of the loan?  Is it federal or private btw?

Oz

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could still rehab it. I'm not eligible for rehabbing since I previously rehabbed then defaulted again.
Org servicer was Sallie mae, when I rehabbed it was sold to aes/suntrust.
Org Sallie mae loan showing as positive closed tradeline from when i rehabbed but the AES ie showing mutiple 120 days late and transfered to government .
Message 3 of 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

Your debt probably is listed in CAIVRs, but it should be removed once you complete the consolidation and the loan is officially out of default.  I believe you could confirm that information with the help of the Ombudsman.  I'm honestly not sure how an individual can check CAIVRs themselves, I've mostly heard of people finding out their status through a mortgage lender they were working with for an FHA or VA loan...

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, ty
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.