Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loans no longer on CR hmmmmmm

tag
superdad
Regular Contributor

student loans no longer on CR hmmmmmm

I have about 17K in student loans from 1999, I have never paid on them.  Went to a bankrupcy lawyer today and they pulled my CR and yep they are not even on there. I told the lawyer that they havent been on my CR for years. He was baffled that they are not reporting and didnt know why.

Here's my question, I plan on filling bankrupcy in the next 6 months.  Then saving some money and look at buying a house next year. I know that the SL will show up if  i applied for a morgage.

Should I do a rehab/forbarence?

Should I save up around 7K and see if they will accpet the 7K as paid in full?

Either way I would be intrested to see if they show back up on my CR.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: student loans no longer on CR hmmmmmm

@superdad wrote:

I have about 17K in student loans from 1999, I have never paid on them.  Went to a bankrupcy lawyer today and they pulled my CR and yep they are not even on there. I told the lawyer that they havent been on my CR for years. He was baffled that they are not reporting and didnt know why.

Here's my question, I plan on filling bankrupcy in the next 6 months.  Then saving some money and look at buying a house next year. I know that the SL will show up if  i applied for a morgage.

Should I do a rehab/forbarence?

Should I save up around 7K and see if they will accpet the 7K as paid in full?

Either way I would be intrested to see if they show back up on my CR.

Are they federally backed or private loans?

Message 2 of 12
superdad
Regular Contributor

Federal

Message 3 of 12
p-
Valued Contributor

Federal loans never go away.  You should probably try to rehabl them.  It will come up again.

I'm surprised they're not garnishing your tax returns.

Message 4 of 12
superdad
Regular Contributor

Can't take my taxes to pay it when I owe every year.  So rehab instead of offering a settlement?

Message 5 of 12
p-
Valued Contributor

superdad wrote: Can't take my taxes to pay it when I owe every year.  So rehab instead of offering a settlement?

Uncle sam doesn't settle.  I'd rehab.

Message 6 of 12
jim44
Established Contributor

@superdad wrote:

Can't take my taxes to pay it when I owe every year.  So rehab instead of offering a settlement?

I had a remaining $600 balance due on my SLs from the early 80's. Like an idiot I thought they were PIF. The TL all showed up on all 3 bureaus out of the blue but were past the SOL. I request removal from all three bureaus and they were deleted. 2 years later my employer received a notice of garnishment from the dept of treasury.  I immediately paid the balance but my employer still had to pay the first garnishment. Nothing was ever taken from my income tax refunds for all those years.  No derogs ever appeared on my CBs again  for my SLs.  IMHO I'd rehab too.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're going to do a BK and shop for a mortgage IN THE NEXT YEAR? Is that even possible?
Message 8 of 12
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You're going to do a BK and shop for a mortgage IN THE NEXT YEAR? Is that even possible?

I don't think so.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@p- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think so.

Ok thanks that's what I thought.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.