Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loans, pay or defer

tag
homebound14
New Contributor

student loans, pay or defer

My loans are currently in deferment totalling 30k.

I wanted to know if I should request another deferment or start paying ?

Does one impact my credit score more than the other or is it the same since both would report positive?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: student loans, pay or defer

neither of them effect your credit score but it is always important to pay down debt as soon as possible.

If you are able to pay them each month I say pay them. If you defer them they will just increase in size because of the interest.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 4
homebound14
New Contributor

thank you so much for the quick response.

Message 3 of 4
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Additionally, depending on the lender, some might be able to work with you to reduce the interest rate so long as you start paying. Sallie Mae apparently has a "rate reduction program" for people in your position. I've started looking into doing it myself, so I can't speak beyond that, but it seems worth investigating. 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.