Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

student loans

I have several parent loans for my daughter who is currently a student.  I submitted deferment forms on all loans which are in deferment.  I recently discovered that one of the loans is not in deferment and is now showing on my credit report as 120 days late.  I never received notification that is was not in deferment or that I was late either by mail or email. It is negatively affecting my fico score by 100 pts.  I had good credit until this.  I am disputing this with the company but I can't prove I didn't receive notification.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: student loans

What is the company?  I'd say your best bet is to get caught up and then request a goodwill removal of the lates.  Explain it nicely to them that it was an oversight, take responsibility for it (don't blame them), be nice not nasty bc they won't help you if you talk/write like it was their fault.

Good Luck!!

PS:  what a nice dad helping his daughter go to college.  My parents didn't help at all.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: student loans

It's with Citibank, which was just sold to Sallie Mae.  As soon as I discovered the reported late I paid off the loan.  I think it may be too late to be nice.  I did write a letter with a few not very nice statements.  I never new I was supposed to pay, if I had known I would have paid.  I'd been paying on it since 2007 with no lates.  When my daughter went back to school I was under the impression the loan went into deferment when she was a student. The other loans with ACS did.  I request a deferment and supplied the paperwork showing she was a current student.  How can it be my fault if I was never notified?  I feel like I don't have any control or recourse to do anything about it.  Companies can ruin your credit in a blink of an eye.  Smiley Sad   By the way,  what makes you think I'm a nice dad, I'm actually a nice mom. lol

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.