Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using a federal loan to pay off a private loan

tag
bmgoree
Established Member

using a federal loan to pay off a private loan

I currently have my federal loans maxed out to pay for tuition and housing. (I also have a private loan that I took out to get me through the summer)

It is very possible that I will be recieving a job that will give me free housing during the spring semester. (saving about $4000) currently that $4000 is going to be paid using federal stanford loans. however if I recieve free housing, I would either just decline that amount of the loan, or I would take it out $2,500 instead of $4000 and pay off my private student loan through wells fargo of $2,500 (wf has higher interest).

would this be advantageous to me in the long run? (p.s the wells fargo loan is also a cosigned loan)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: using a federal loan to pay off a private loan

Well, I don't think it is going to have an effect on your actual credit score because you are basically trading one loan for another loan.  Is the federal loan that you are getting subsidized?  My thought would be to go ahead and get rid of that personal loan because it has the higher interest rate.  This will also release your co-signer of any responsibility because the loan would be paid off.  I've seen so many times on the discussion board where friends or family no longer are cordial because of things that happen where a co-signed loan goes bad.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.