cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird student loan message on credit report?

tag
mcas85
Established Member

weird student loan message on credit report?

Hi everyone. I defaulted on a private student loan. When I checked my credit report, the message read "subscriber reports dispute resolved-consumer disagrees".

How is this possible if I never disputed this debt? I called the collection agency and they said they are trying to "assign" my account to another agency.

Is this something anyone has seen on a student loan?  Default occurred 5 years ago(will fall off my report in 2 years). I am in a better financial and overall situation now than I was when this happened right out of college. I can make payments now, but they only want me to pay a lump sum last time I spoke to them. Hopefully I can figure this out soon!  

Any advice on how to proceed would be great!  I want to get a mortgage soon, so not sure if settling would be ideal? Otherwise paying the lump sum amount would wipe me out. Difficult decisions. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: weird student loan message on credit report?

Hey I not positive but I believe if you have any student loan in default , you won't be able to go forward with a mortgage until it's satisfied . I have only seen the message you are referring to when it is actually disputed . So if you have not actually done that I would contact the credit bureau and inquire about it , maybe it's a mistake on their part .
I have my student loans in default but I am actually rehabbing them now with one more payment to go bf they are done . Is this an option for you at all? I know there are diff rules for rehab between fed and private , mine is federal. What about reconsolidating them with a new lender and starting over basically ? If none of that is options for you I guess the best thing would be to settle the debt and be done with it . Surely they can't just only want a lump sum, maybe payment plan? Good luck hope it works out for you
Message 2 of 3
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: weird student loan message on credit report?

I would not be too concerned about it right now. It sounds like that account is in transition between agencies. Accounts regularly get messy when that happens.Once it settles you should look into it. As for repayment they might only be offering a lump sum because you have not paid in 5 years. They are not really expecting the money back but if you want to pay they will insist on lump sum so that they can mark a massive recovery from it and remove it from their account list. Payment plans usually require some negotiation and if all else fails you can always refinance it to a regular loan. Based on your statement you will not be ready for a morgage for at least 2-5 years after this loan is taken care of.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.