cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happenes once you pay a defaulted student loan off?

tag
memee1978
New Contributor

what happenes once you pay a defaulted student loan off?

my student loan is in default.what happens once i pay the ampunt in full out?
hr>Starting Score: 623eq
Current Score 660TU
Goal Score:730> 660EX

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: what happenes once you pay a defaulted student loan off?

When you pay your account off, it will be marked as a paid default/collection, whatever the language is on that credit report.  It will naturally age off 7 years from the claim paid date.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid a defaulted SL (Sallie Mae) and my account now says paid as agreed.  There is nothing on my reports to suggest that I was ever in default.
Message 3 of 7
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

lawskool09 wrote:
I paid a defaulted SL (Sallie Mae) and my account now says paid as agreed.  There is nothing on my reports to suggest that I was ever in default.

Federal or private loan?? It is absolutely impossible to default on a federal loan and have SM report as paid as agreed.  They will file a default claim with the guarantor.  Even if rehabbed back to SM, a new tradeline will open with the old one still appearing.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a federal loan.  It's the only TL reporting.  I'm not sure why it's reporting that way.  I assumed it would report like you stated above....
Message 5 of 7
weezie
Valued Member

Yep, I've had the exact same experience as Lawskool. Federal loans with SM in default for almost 2 years. As soon as I started paying again, it was like the loans had never been in default. No duplicate tradelines, no "default" or "collections" tag.
Message 6 of 7
memee1978
New Contributor

i finally paid it off last month.I'm waiting for the status to reflect in my fico report and score.

hr>Starting Score: 623eq
Current Score 660TU
Goal Score:730> 660EX

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.