Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFICO Valentine Survey

tag
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Re: myFICO Valentine Survey

One of the reasons that I was attracted to my husband in the first place was that he was very responsible with his spending.  He had a good job and could afford nice things, but he prefered to save and think of the future.  We like to occassionally splurge on nice dinners, good wine or tickets to shows - but we prefer to live a modest life within our means.  It's important for both of us to feel like we are not in over our heads and that our future will be as low stress as possible.  Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 15
ashber
Established Member

I have been with my fiance for about 5 years now. I am still young and in college. We talked about money after a couple months I guess. We discuss big purchases with each other, and somewhat smaller purchases. I don't have a particular FICO score requirement for dating, but when we do plan on buying a house I want both of our credit ratings to be good enough (at least 750) for a low interest rate. I used to be a big spender and got out of debt, now I am almost out of debt and I hardly shop for anything I don't need. He hasn't changed his shopping habits. He doesn't do spare of the moment purchases like I used to do. I think we are a good balance.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I were total opposite he was a big time spender while I'm yep I'm not afraid to admit it the "cheap one."  The first year we were married was the hardest and we argued constantly about money because I had a "bill" schedule while he had another schedule...So I had to make him realize  how much damage this was causing the both of us...he finally agreed to sit down and make a plan together. First we bought an eraser calendar board to put all our bill due dates on it, got a joint checking account and joint savings account.  Now 2 years later the both of us have 1 individual savings goal and 1 savings goal together.  We are working on our emergency account which is half way there and theres an occasional splurge in the month so we don't get bored of savings.  All I have to say about this experience is that it took commitment, A LOT of patience, and so much communication to get us where we are today.  I'm still "the cheap one" but he respects that and I'm just happy he realized that it's not BAD to be wise with one's money Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I met my spouse 12 years ago and married two years after we met.  It has been a journey.   I am a saver and she is a spender.  I wanted to make her happy and relaxed some of my fugal ways.  However, soon after we got married I become my old self again.  We wanted to buy a house and the path we were on was not going to get use into homeownership.  All of our accounts are joint accounts.  We have a nice savings account and house is nearly paid off.  See no need in trying to protect my financial self from the person I say I love.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like to spend money on big items and my wife likes to spend money on small items.  We both recognize our own weakness. We make decision together on our money, and we help each other to avoid those pitfall.  No matter how much I want something, I am willing to give it up if she thinks it's not in our budget.  And she also listen to me when I remind her of those Starbucks coffees...haha...
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.