Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Check in Thread

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

August Check in Thread

The lazy, hazy days of summer will be coming to and end soon.  Some of us are getting our kids ready for back to school or we are going!  Either way, are you closer this month to your goals?  I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have we progressed as far as we hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. 

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2014?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Re: August Check in Thread

Checking in for August! I have good news to report! As of this month all my scores are 650+! Having started at 530 I am super excited about that. I couldn't get my Equifax to budge but it finally moved up when I paid down some debt! I only have 1 card left to pay off, a couple of baddies I am still waiting to get results from and some more gardening. I can't wait to get closer to 700!

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 2 of 17
New_Beginning
Frequent Contributor

Checking in for August, July was pretty good to me, I learned a lot of things I did not know in regards to credit. Got a few things removed that I didn't know that I could and how to do it the right way and raised my score approximately 30+ across the board in one month. I am proud of myself!!! 

Since I started in June I have opened 4 tradelines and joined the gardening club in July to try to grow new good tradelines as my old negative tradelines start to age and fall off. I've learned that some CRA's are easier to work with than others and I have learned that you must keep an eye on your reports as they change often.  I have also helped my child established her first cc and directed her to this site so that she can learn how to handle and manage her credit properly as a college student, one card that is all she needs to start her own credit history not the 10 or so I had when I was 18....smh! I have also joined the great cc payoff challenge to try to get this debt of mine down as much as I can by Feb 2015 and then continue on until it is done, hopefully a new challenge will start if not I will keep it up on m own.

This forum has been so helpful, I can't express enough how grateful and lucky I feel to have found this. It all started with a google search, I was searching for the validity of Credit Karma as my child needs a car and I signed up to see where I was to help her and came across a post where someone else was impressed with Shogun's progress from 504 to his current status as he explained how CK was FAKO, I was reading it like yeah how did he do that?!?!?!? and I have been hooked since Smiley Happy My grandmother has always taught us you never know how you inspire others make sure the way you live inspires them the right way, Shogun definitely inspired me. 

I have told everybody who would listen about MyFico and how helpful it has been to me Smiley Very Happy

August is also my birthday month another 30+ would be the best gift ever!!! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 615 (MyFICO) TU 588 (Walmart) EX 576 (EX Website) Started this journey 06/26/2014
Current Score: EQ 710 (MyFICO) TU 673 (Walmart) TU 726 (MyFICO) EX 706 (MyFICO) As of Sep 2015
Goal Score: 750 or higher across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

August was my first month visiting the myfico.com Forums.  Once I joined as a member, and asked a few questions that I could not find the answer to via Google, the help I received from so many people on here has been amazing.  Thank you to all of you that provide your time, and advice to us that are trying to recover from credit failure.

When I joined, my FICO score was a dismal 545. Within a few weeks it has improved to a poor 593.  With some discipline and patience, I'm hoping my FICO score will increase to 600 by the end of August, and 700 before 2015.

Thank you again.

Message 4 of 17
que_lynds
Established Member

Forgot to check-in for July but great news for August!! After reading many posts about CLI's I decided to give mine old CC's a try. Well GM Card flat out declined my CLI request. Shortly after my Bloomingdales Amex limit was lowered to $200 after being reviewed?!! I was really downed by failed attempts to grow my garden. I've really been trying not to open any new accounts since leasing my truck in Sept 2013. Anywho since I joined Schools First CU in January I had some credit offers I never took advantage of. One was a CC with $5000 limit at 8.5% APR. To my surprise, once I clicked on the offer it was approved and funded . No app, no inquiry. The new credit helped improve my CC balance ratio thus increasing my credit score! Checked my TU FICO today and was blown away by my score of 737!! Almost at my goal.. Smiley Happy

Target Visa 1500 | Bloomindales 2000 | Bloomingdales Amex 300 | Sams Club 10,000 | Capital One 2805 | Kinecta MC 3000 | DFS Financial 3000 |
Old Navy Visa 6800 | Schools First MC 5000 | Home Depot 8000 | Last Credit app 03/16
MYFICO TU: 781
MYFICO EQ: 772
MYFICO EX: 790
Message 5 of 17
javonnj
Valued Member

Does shogun have a thread or a post that explains how he went through rebuilding his FICO score to what it is now? That progress is truly motivating, and I defintiely want to follow that path.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 500
Goal Score: 650

Message 6 of 17
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

The lazy, hazy days of summer will be coming to and end soon.  Some of us are getting our kids ready for back to school or we are going!  Either way, are you closer this month to your goals?  I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have we progressed as far as we hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. 

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2014?

August check in.  Joined challenge ‎04-24-2014 08:41 AM

As a reminder my goals for 2014 were:

1. I want to improve my FICO score to the 760-850 range. TU bankcard 792; EX bankcard 839; EQ 794 myFICO. Completed
  2. I want to buy a new house near my children (keeping my current home as rental property). In Escrow.  Waiting for clear to close. Original close date was 8/12/14. No new date.
  3. The FICO score I want to improve by 9/2014.  I want to be preapproved for a home loan by 11/2014. Completed

August updated goals: I’ve met goal # 1 & # 3.  I’m moving forward on goal #2.

When I get the new home, I will end up with new debt to replace the roof on my current home and fix things on my new home (debt to replace roof will exist regardless.  My roof is wood shingle and insurance will no longer cover wood shingle). 

My new goals is to not have more, total debt, for credit cards and student loans than I had at the beginning of 2014.  Prior to purchase of new home, I was on track to pay off all credit card debt by 11/2014 and student loan by 12/2014. 

Thus my goals (after purchase of new home) is to keep total CC and student loan debt below my 1/2014 balance and by March 2015 develop new plan to pay off cc & student loan debt.

Chart of debt 1/2014:

Account Name

Balance

Limit

Interest Rate

Promo rate

Promo end date

AT&T Universal

11.99%

5.99%

Til paid

Home Depot 

Amazon/ Chase

12.24%

KSFCU VISA 

10.9%

Firstbank Card (Union)

12.99%

5.99%

1/2015

DOED TREAS/OSLA

6.55%

& 2.99%

Total Debt

8/2014 (Debt will go up from here, but keep below above chart)

Account Name

Balance

Limit

Interest Rate

Promo rate

Promo end date

Wells Visa

0%

1/2015

Home Depot

Amazon/ Chase 

12.24%

KSFCU VISA

10.9%

0%

3/2015

Firstbank Card (Union

12.99%

0%

5/2015

DOED TREAS/OSLA

6.55%

& 2.99%

Total Debt

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Message 7 of 17
javonnj
Valued Member

I managed to pay off in full my Capital One Sec with a $200 limit. 

While that may be a small CL for some, I have been having a slightly difficult year with staying focused with my finances, and it felt really good to take some extra money and just pay it off completely today. At only 27, I am looking forward to developing more of a financialy responsible attitude, and setting up my future properly from a financial aspect. I am looking forward to seeing if I can inch closer to that 600 number now that my util will be at 0%

I think I will treat myself to a nice steak dinner to celebrate the very personal milestone that I accomplished. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 500

Message 8 of 17
renamariee
Contributor

Doing great. =] CL increased from $200 to $500 on my secured card from Capital One out of nowhere. Hopefully I can get a good interest rate for a vehicle when it comes time to purchase one.

Starting Score: 587
Current Score: 637

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I have been looking at this site for several months now and finally decided to take the jump. I have been working on my rebuilding my credit since August 2013. It manage to take a slight leap in February to 640 EQ&TU-619-EX. But since taking out an installment loan in February for 2800 and numerous Medical Bills hitting my account; it has plateau to 543 average. These are my current FICO scores. My Fako scores have me averaging from 573-650. My Cap One CC is at $2000- $1064 balance. Just opened USAA secured for $250.00. My badcock furnitue account is $1400- $400 balance. My car loan is Trulient Federal $503- paid on time.

I have a few medical collections that seem to be dragging it down Bull City Fin..reported these collection account several times a month from April to June, I only need a 620 to qualify for a mortgage. So any suggestions or assistance would be helpful. There are over 18 medical collection being reported. I have paid off over 8 of them. I have sent DV to three companies who are reporting most of the collections. I'm thinking of pulling the EOB's to see what has been paid by the Health Insurance but not sure if that will help.

Overall Goal, VA Mortgage by December 2014!!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.