Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2015 Check-In Thread

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

December 2015 Check-In Thread

As we approach the holidays, the stress of overspending can be tremendous.  What steps are you taking so that you ring in the New Year not drowning in debt? What new ideas or plans do you have so that 0% promos don't sway you away from your goals?  If you have a plan or strategy that you would like to share, please do! 

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: December 2015 Check-In Thread

I just want to check in for once! I have seriously made all attempts to make myself credit card debt free, and I have finally accomplished this this past month. Just waiting for everything to report to the CBs to see what if any scoring implications it might have. I still will have 1-2 cards report like 2.50 on each of them though, so it's not like there will be 0 reporting. I still have an auto loan, and that will be quite a long time before I get rid of that. I'm not too eager to get rid of it, honestly. I'm someone who always likes to have a different car every couple of years or so, so I expect a loan to be on the reports. Feeling quite optimistic. Smiley Happy

Hope everyone's doing well with their goals and are being able to be consistent with what they want to accomplish with regard to the holiday spending!
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

As we approach the holidays, the stress of overspending can be tremendous.  What steps are you taking so that you ring in the New Year not drowning in debt? What new ideas or plans do you have so that 0% promos don't sway you away from your goals?  If you have a plan or strategy that you would like to share, please do! 

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge.

Well, Kenny, I realized that I was getting a real adrenaline rush from approvals even though the cards I acquired were in my rebuilding plan. It took about two weeks of not apping before that need disappeared. After a month in the garden, I honestly don't want to app at all, which is a good thing! Smiley Happy

What keeps me on track is a weekly evaluation of my spending and a reminder of needs vs wants.  It may sound simple, but it works for me. I found that focusing on my accounts and making future plans for 1) utilization; 2) possible combining help me stay in the garden. I now have a two year plan so my inquiries fall off because I have so many. It is possible I will app for another credit union in six months, but no solid plans. I want to see how things flow.

Good luck to everyone! It's December and a new year will be here before we know it.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

As we enter the final month of 2015 ... I have been true to my faith and not pursued any new accounts. My goal is to increase my scores and that is working. Feels good to see good scores after many years of living in the cellar. Gardening can seem boring but over time the rewards are there ...

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny - This site looks great and you set out your goals sometime back and you have been true to yourself! Congrats on reaching the debt free level Smiley Happy Quite an accomplishment and you deserve kudos for that ... !

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I forgot that the months changed. Smiley Surprised

My goals so far have far exceeded my expectations and I am barely approaching a month of participating in the Fitness Challenge. I've successfully had my only baddie (collection) on my report deleted and my credit utilization has gone down 65%. Halleluja things are looking good! Looking forward to a fresh new year. Fireworks

Message 6 of 19
grneydangl
Frequent Contributor

Checking in!  Recently financed a new car AND applied for credit I didn't need (as well as credit I didn't get) and I have not seen any decreases in scores which feels weird.  I have seen a two point increase in both EQ and TU but EX is staying strong (low).

I have updated my score goals throughout the year each time I hit the previous goal.  Now I'm wishing I didn't do that so I could see how much I surpassed the goals I set at the beginning of the year Smiley Sad 

I will ring in the New Year with a low balance on only one credit card, which bums me out only a little because I worked hard to pay off all credit card debts and then utilized a card with a 0% introductory apr until April 2016.  Now rather than paying off a big chunk of that balance, I'm saving money for moving costs.  The hope is to pay it off by April though!

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning all!!!

Happy December. This month will be a pretty mellow month for me. For starters, I've spent $30(something) more than intended on my one and only revolving account (which isn't much, but when your CL is $200 THAT'S A LOT, lol.... But my payment will be due on 1/3 and I'll be making payments before then (20 & 1). I also, for the third time, was approved for a Capital One Secured Card. With previous approvals, I required a $200 deposit, this approval required only a $99 deposit.... Progress. Other than opening the secured card and paying down my Fingerhut balance, I'll be ending the year on a pretty chill note.

#ChillingOutThisChillySeason 

Message 8 of 19
fbh31118
Valued Member

Much to my dismay my score has been going DOWN as of late.  I just paid off the last of my student loan of 16 years and I lost 5 points, AAaaarrrgggg!  ( In my best Charlie Brown voice).  

Starting Score: Experian 627 TU 652 Quizzle na DW 634
Current:Equifax: 698TU: 659Experian: 690
Goal Score: 700 +
Why farm half when you can FARMALL.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 19
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

My scores still seem to be a pogo stick no matter what I do. I get a small or large charge on a card score drops 7 points. I make a $400 payment score drops 5 points. I haven't been able to get out from under emergencies piling one on top of another since July, but this is one factor nobody considers. So far I've had no late payments just a multitude of other issues from companies I have a long and positive history with. It seems they would rather make things worse than try to find out if you might need some help.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.