Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

December 2015 Check-In Thread

As we approach the holidays, the stress of overspending can be tremendous.  What steps are you taking so that you ring in the New Year not drowning in debt? What new ideas or plans do you have so that 0% promos don't sway you away from your goals?  If you have a plan or strategy that you would like to share, please do! 

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge.

Re: December 2015 Check-In Thread

I just want to check in for once! I have seriously made all attempts to make myself credit card debt free, and I have finally accomplished this this past month. Just waiting for everything to report to the CBs to see what if any scoring implications it might have. I still will have 1-2 cards report like 2.50 on each of them though, so it's not like there will be 0 reporting. I still have an auto loan, and that will be quite a long time before I get rid of that. I'm not too eager to get rid of it, honestly. I'm someone who always likes to have a different car every couple of years or so, so I expect a loan to be on the reports. Feeling quite optimistic. Smiley Happy

Hope everyone's doing well with their goals and are being able to be consistent with what they want to accomplish with regard to the holiday spending!
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Kenny wrote:

As we approach the holidays, the stress of overspending can be tremendous.  What steps are you taking so that you ring in the New Year not drowning in debt? What new ideas or plans do you have so that 0% promos don't sway you away from your goals?  If you have a plan or strategy that you would like to share, please do! 

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge.

Well, Kenny, I realized that I was getting a real adrenaline rush from approvals even though the cards I acquired were in my rebuilding plan. It took about two weeks of not apping before that need disappeared. After a month in the garden, I honestly don't want to app at all, which is a good thing! Smiley Happy

What keeps me on track is a weekly evaluation of my spending and a reminder of needs vs wants.  It may sound simple, but it works for me. I found that focusing on my accounts and making future plans for 1) utilization; 2) possible combining help me stay in the garden. I now have a two year plan so my inquiries fall off because I have so many. It is possible I will app for another credit union in six months, but no solid plans. I want to see how things flow.

Good luck to everyone! It's December and a new year will be here before we know it.

Daily Drivers: Penfed Platinum Rewards; NFCU GoRewards; Discover; NASA Platinum Cash Rewards
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

As we enter the final month of 2015 ... I have been true to my faith and not pursued any new accounts. My goal is to increase my scores and that is working. Feels good to see good scores after many years of living in the cellar. Gardening can seem boring but over time the rewards are there ...

Starting Score: 848
Current Score: 829
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kenny - This site looks great and you set out your goals sometime back and you have been true to yourself! Congrats on reaching the debt free level Smiley Happy Quite an accomplishment and you deserve kudos for that ... !

Starting Score: 848
Current Score: 829
Goal Score: 850

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, I forgot that the months changed. Smiley Surprised

My goals so far have far exceeded my expectations and I am barely approaching a month of participating in the Fitness Challenge. I've successfully had my only baddie (collection) on my report deleted and my credit utilization has gone down 65%. Halleluja things are looking good! Looking forward to a fresh new year. Fireworks

Capital One Platinum, Quicksilver One, Care Credit, Shell Drive for Five, Chevron, Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Macy's, JCPenny, GAP, American Eagle, Amazon, Walmart, PayPal
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Checking in!  Recently financed a new car AND applied for credit I didn't need (as well as credit I didn't get) and I have not seen any decreases in scores which feels weird.  I have seen a two point increase in both EQ and TU but EX is staying strong (low).

I have updated my score goals throughout the year each time I hit the previous goal.  Now I'm wishing I didn't do that so I could see how much I surpassed the goals I set at the beginning of the year Smiley Sad 

I will ring in the New Year with a low balance on only one credit card, which bums me out only a little because I worked hard to pay off all credit card debts and then utilized a card with a 0% introductory apr until April 2016.  Now rather than paying off a big chunk of that balance, I'm saving money for moving costs.  The hope is to pay it off by April though!

Re-entered the garden on 12/30/15 Seriously, I need to stop leaving!
Starting Score: EQ: 706 TU: 707 EX: 674 (on 1/3/16)
Current Score: EQ: 713 TU: 701 EX: 679
Goal Score: EQ: 720 TU: 720 EX: 690

Regular Contributor

Morning all!!!

Happy December. This month will be a pretty mellow month for me. For starters, I've spent $30(something) more than intended on my one and only revolving account (which isn't much, but when your CL is $200 THAT'S A LOT, lol.... But my payment will be due on 1/3 and I'll be making payments before then (20 & 1). I also, for the third time, was approved for a Capital One Secured Card. With previous approvals, I required a $200 deposit, this approval required only a $99 deposit.... Progress. Other than opening the secured card and paying down my Fingerhut balance, I'll be ending the year on a pretty chill note.

#ChillingOutThisChillySeason 

Starting Score: 493 (6/30/15) | Current Score: 621 (as of 3/9) | Goal Score: 675 (By 12/31/16) | Total Available Credit: $1,300 (As Of 3/9/16)
|------$500 CL------|--------$300 CL-------|------$150 CL-------|------$350 CL---------|
Valued Member

Much to my dismay my score has been going DOWN as of late.  I just paid off the last of my student loan of 16 years and I lost 5 points, AAaaarrrgggg!  ( In my best Charlie Brown voice).  

Starting Score: Experian 627 TU 652 Quizzle na DW 634
Current:Equifax: 698TU: 659Experian: 690
Goal Score: 700 +
Why farm half when you can FARMALL.

Regular Contributor

My scores still seem to be a pogo stick no matter what I do. I get a small or large charge on a card score drops 7 points. I make a $400 payment score drops 5 points. I haven't been able to get out from under emergencies piling one on top of another since July, but this is one factor nobody considers. So far I've had no late payments just a multitude of other issues from companies I have a long and positive history with. It seems they would rather make things worse than try to find out if you might need some help.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.