Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February Check in thread

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

February Check in thread

Ah, February the second and shortest month of the year.  Seems like it was only yesterday when we were ringing in the New Year!  Now is the time to buckle down and get back on our fitness regiment.

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! 

Message 1 of 76
75 REPLIES 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: February Check in thread

Checking in. Got my TU score past my goal in january thanks to early exclusion of my last bad mark. Called ex and was told they cant early exclude til february, so monday morning gonna give it a go. If it works I will have 3 clean reports! That should put me over 700 across the board, so hopefully will be setting a new goal soon. Thanks again to everybody who has help and good luck to those who are still grinding away.

Message 2 of 76
ldservices
New Visitor

Just joined up... Hoope this challenge helps.

Starting Score: 691
Current Score: 691b>
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 76
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Checking in for February 2015.  My Goals for 2014 went so well, I can't help but be delighted for 2015. The initial goals I set up for 2015 are:

1. Keep credit card utilization below 15%, at present it's less than 1%. Still less than !%.
  2. Save up for bathroom remodels (400+ per month) Reconsidering;  I don't know how much to save, nor an idea of what I want. Been saving & paying extra on house.
  3. Monitor and protect credit. Continuous.  Use ID protection, have fraud alerts set, have spending thresholds set on each card, & review mint each morning to see current activity.
  4. Stop monthly payments from 401K for minimum 1 year-up to 3 years (I'm retired and used some of funds for down payment on new house. Stopping the payments will slow down the depletion of the 401 K and keep me from re-charging the credit cards). Stopped the payments 12/2014. 12/19/14 was last payment so earliest I can restart is 1/2016.  I'm shooting for two years which will be 1/2017, but 1/2018 would be better.

To give some background.  I've purchased a new house in 8/2014 (got hit with 13 inquiries during the year) and I've given myself until 3/2015 to adjust to my new budget before I develop and a new Debt reduction budget.

So right now I'm playing what I call the "simulator game."  I hope some of my Fitness Challenge pals will play along with me.  I pulled my generic EQ score from myFICO on 1/28/15. It currently shows my generic EQ score as 767 and will go up to 822 in 18 months.  The slider shows 24 months, but when you move it to the left, you can see when is the earliest estimate to get that score. 

Fortunately, it shows that in 3 months my score will be 782;792 in 6 months; and 812 in 12 months.  I'll definitely be checking my score in 6 months which is when my score evidently recovers from the new purchase and the inquiries.  I'll let everyone know how accurate the simulator is for my situation.

Anyway, Happy February and in Mid-March I'll finally get to develop an initial pay plan budget.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bdhu2001 wrote:

Checking in for February 2015.  My Goals for 2014 went so well, I can't help but be delighted for 2015. The initial goals I set up for 2015 are:

1. Keep credit card utilization below 15%, at present it's less than 1%. Still less than !%.
  2. Save up for bathroom remodels (400+ per month) Reconsidering;  I don't know how much to save, nor an idea of what I want. Been saving & paying extra on house.
  3. Monitor and protect credit. Continuous.  Use ID protection, have fraud alerts set, have spending thresholds set on each card, & review mint each morning to see current activity.
  4. Stop monthly payments from 401K for minimum 1 year-up to 3 years (I'm retired and used some of funds for down payment on new house. Stopping the payments will slow down the depletion of the 401 K and keep me from re-charging the credit cards). Stopped the payments 12/2014. 12/19/14 was last payment so earliest I can restart is 1/2016.  I'm shooting for two years which will be 1/2017, but 1/2018 would be better.

To give some background.  I've purchased a new house in 8/2014 (got hit with 13 inquiries during the year) and I've given myself until 3/2015 to adjust to my new budget before I develop and a new Debt reduction budget.

So right now I'm playing what I call the "simulator game."  I hope some of my Fitness Challenge pals will play along with me.  I pulled my generic EQ score from myFICO on 1/28/15. It currently shows my generic EQ score as 767 and will go up to 822 in 18 months.  The slider shows 24 months, but when you move it to the left, you can see when is the earliest estimate to get that score. 

Fortunately, it shows that in 3 months my score will be 782;792 in 6 months; and 812 in 12 months.  I'll definitely be checking my score in 6 months which is when my score evidently recovers from the new purchase and the inquiries.  I'll let everyone know how accurate the simulator is for my situation.

Anyway, Happy February and in Mid-March I'll finally get to develop an initial pay plan budget.

Well, just for point of reference, I pulled3 bureaus on 1/15. eq was at 718. Said with 24 months of time I would be at 767. Said I would hit 732 at 6 months. I hit 734 a week later, no change in util nothing except 7 oks added. my discover had reported 34 dollar balance for dec, put it at 34 again for january. so literally no change except all 7 of my open accts got an ok.

Message 5 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my tax check in and paid off 4 credit cards and will be paying off 2 more on Monday, just leaving my 1 card with a balance, i'm looking forward to a possible increase in my score. 

Message 6 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goal still remains to stay 2015 in the garden. Do not need any new credit (except maybe the Chase AARP Card). Need to get the DTI lowered and utilization down. Further, looking to get the inquiry count greatly lowered. Concerned about the major banks closing or reducing credit lines for various reasons so will be looking closely at what changes in course I may need to effect Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 76
coffeegal
Contributor

I made some good progress in January.  January was a great month for me.  Smiley Happy

1/14 I 60 day total

EQ  +26  /  +59

TU  +20  /  +72 

EX  +25  /  +60

This jumps were primarily a result of having a CO paid and removed from all three CRAs.  In addition to some big score jumps, I was able to obtain a new car loan at my local credit union (1.74%), 2 AMEX cards, a charge card and revolver.  Obtaining the car loan was huge for me, as it was very much time for a new one.  Though I knew I could be approved for a car loan sooner, I wanted to wait as long as I could to push my scores a little higher, and get some of those baddies off.  

In my initial post, I had stated that misuing credit cards in college was one of the reasons that I had credit challenges, I realized that wasn't my primary issue A) it was a long time ago, B)In hindsight, it was not very much $$ in the end.  What really hurt me was a decent size tax lien, not paying my student loans on time, and some silly collections  (two under $250) that I didn't realize were  on my CRAs until I joined MyFico.  Oh --- and never looking at my credit report!  Smiley Happy.  Additionally, when I purchased my last car, I was naive, and accepted a terrible offer for a loan at double digit % that I probably could have found a better offer, but didn't think I could get approved.  

Because I had/have a fairly thin file:  student loan (not so great payment history), auto loan (good payment history in the last couple of years), 3 credit cards (1 visa, JCrew, and Target -- all with perfect payment, and low utilization), every baddie greatly impacted my scores in a big way.  On the upside, after satisfying and vacating my tax liens and cleaning up the collections, my report is somewhat clean.  

At this point, I think I simply need to focus on conitnuing to ensure timely payments on all accounts!

Starting Score: EQ 657 TU 627 EX 650 12/2014
Current Score: EQ 747 TU 748 EX 738 3/2017
Message 8 of 76
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Greetings ALL!!  Smiley Happy

I was doing SO well with my gardening & paying balances down, then in Dec, I hit a deer!  That thing stepped out in front of me driving home at 11:00 pm.  Going 75 with the cruise on...BAM!

So....unfortunately, that car was totalled by ins co & once again...new inquiries & a new car loan.

Still been putting major dents into my card balances & feeling good about 2015!

My highest score right now is with Experian.  That's hard to believe, since EX is the only one with a baddie.  Had it out with the Dep of Ed in 09 when I paid off my student loan.  Final payment was listed as paid collection.  Disputed & TU & EQ removed the notation, but EX would not budge & neither would DoE.  I decided after many calls, letters & etc., they just weren't worth it.  Now with that baddie nearing 1 year left this month, it's impact is lessening, but it's still the #1 factor hurting me.

Currently, EX 729.....TU 709....EQ 676

It's very interesting that EQ & EX both show all my other FICO score versions!!  Smiley Tongue  Is TU planning on following suit??

But...bottom line, back in the garden.  My EQ file took a hit when I had the veh. inquiry, dumped Sprint for a no-contract AT&T service & also had a hit for my Freedom card.

Laying back in the garden & waiting for the Spring thaw!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 76
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@ldservices wrote:

Just joined up... Hoope this challenge helps.

Not only will the challenge help, this site will be so beneficial to you.  Everyone here has always been so helpful....praising your accomplishments, answering your questions, pushing you forward & all here as your "inner voice" saying "you don't need to buy this or that"...pack your lunches...save your pennies...we have all been there.

Trust me...no one joins this group because they already have 820 FICO's.  We were all starting with a mess of a file & low numbers. 

Welcome aboard!!!!Smiley LOL

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.