Established Member
eagle1gator

Re: February check-in thread - how are you doing?

So this credit thing really has me frustrated... I have been out of BK7 for a year. I have established 8 credit lines : Cap 1 secured $1k, Orchard $400, Credit 1 $500, Firestone $1200, FingerHut $600, Matrix Discover $300, GE Chevron $300, and a car loan that I had for 11 months but sold due to interest of 30%. My FICO score is a 584 and my EQ from the Equifax site is 565. WHat can I do to get the ball rolling toward higher scores and better rates?? Any help please!!

Starting Score: 554
Current Score: 584
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Gettingthere123

Hello this is great I think I signed up but don't see an icon to start a post :smileyembarrassed:.  Anyway, I have been working on my financial goals since Feb 2011, I finally realized I needed to focus or I was not going to reach my goals of home ownership ( I could get a home, just not what I wanted).  I also need a car and even with that I realize I need to save more money and maybe even buy a 2-3 year old used car (pay cash)

Well my goal of government employment has happened even with budget cuts I am employed and before 1 March I was able to use my payroll to put to payments.  I erased $110,000 in exactly 1 year of employment and have less than $6K left in debt.

So now I am focusing on getting debt free (in preparation) for the best loan rates for my new mortgage (end of 2014; I am planning on saving for down payment or I may use my VA options.  In addition, I need a car and I want to go to Culinary school again using VA Tuition assistance.

I am following my FICO score monthly; which has not moved much despite paying down this 1st Home Equity.  I so have (2) missed payments (1) a credit card which I closed cause it was costing me money in exchange I opened up a new credit card (2011) as I need one for my travels abroad and the credit limit is $10K but I do not even use it for anything but traveling once a year if then.  Then the other (1) is I missed a Home Equity payment and I am disputing that with the bank.

So, while I am in abroad I am able to make a little over $10K a month and that will be reduced to $6.5K when I come back to USA...so how long does it take for FICO score to move?

Mine has been hovering around 747-757 and I have paid more than $20K in this home equity.  Will it go up and plato out if I am not using any credit?  I don't plan to purchase anything while over here.

Since I only owe a little bit left; I wonder how many months after debt free will be my somewhat final FICO score with no change in movement (purchases etc).  I am thinking 4-6 months will be the score I am stuck with or will it take years for the score to rise

Will I reach my goal of 800 if I do not buy anything else for the next 18 months?

Starting Score: 747
Current Score: 757
Goal Score: 800

Administrator Emeritus
Sarah

A new month is upon us! The March check-in thread is now open, so feel free to head over there to post your progress updates: 

myFICO Fitness Challenge March check-in

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+