Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Moderator Emerita
0 Kudos

March Check In Thread

The month of March means we are one-third into the new year.  How are your plans for being financially prepared coming?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing!

New Visitor

Re: March Check In Thread

My first time participating in this, really excited to see if it helps. Recently medically seperated from the military and while I was in I took some terrible loans out that I could not afford and had them fall into collections, but just the other day got ahold of Experian and found out a few other peoples credit was being reported onto mine as well. I am also disputing a couple of the things. The good news is, that in just 3 days my score went from a 430, to a 486 (still terrible I know) Just opened a secured credit card as well, so heres hoping to being able to get on the right track. Thanks!

Starting Score: 480
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 620

Regular Contributor

I didn't understand before how these scoring systems worked,and that I've watched closely for a month I am really confused. As I said when I started this challenge, last summer my scores werein the mid 700s and I had extra expenses from a severe hail storm that dropped them. Anyway I've been paying down balances and my scores go up and down all month.  I make a small charge of $200 and payments totally $1300 but my score drops instead of going up because my balance decreased.  My overall bankcard balances are substantially lower this month than when reported at the beginning of this challenge,yet my scores are about the same. I haven't got a clue how this system works.

Established Member
0 Kudos

This month's goal is to payoff another Navient loan.  I'm down to two left which total approximately $3000 and Im attacking the one whose balance is $1085.Hopefull in April's check in I will be down to the last one.

I lost 3 points on Equifax - going in wrong direction. It was due to inquiry from car loan on Saturday so expected. While I want a higher score right now, I know that my short term goal is to pay off Navient which frees up cash to paydown credit cards which will (eventually) reduce utilization and increase scores. So in the meantime I'll keep swimming and swimming.

Starting Score: Feb2015:EQ699/EX704/TU693
Current Score: Apr2015:EQ702/EX713/TU691
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Super Contributor
0 Kudos

Goal still remains to stay 2015 in the garden. Do not need any new credit. Need to get the DTI lowered and utilization down (made progress in the last thirty days). Further, looking to get the inquiry count lowered (that has happened too - some dropped off). Decided to stay the course for this month and not close any credit cards even though two lenders have been watching my accounts due to the opening of a Barclays card last May 2014.
Starting Score: 824
Current Score: 829
Goal Score: 850

Valued Member
0 Kudos

Yesterday I noticed my car making a funny noise and it felt like it was slipping between gears. I hope that I do not have to replace the transmission or anything else too costly. I have an appointment for Friday to see what's wrong. I want to stay on track paying down my debt so I am hoping that I do not have to add to it. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 730

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So this is new for me and I am taking a chance and trying something new because I have heard great things about this site and also read alot of success stories  and I want that. 

I recently got married, started a new job and now of course my husband  and I want to buy a home. I made very poor financial decisions in my college years, which is now still effecting me. I have started to take to take steps in the right direction, just need more help. 

Current: EX 602, TU 618, EX 614 

Goal: 750+

Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Contributor

So January was a great month for me, February -- not so much scorewise.  I was able to see the results of having tax liens and old collections removed from my credit reports.  The timing was great, as I needed to replace my old car.  February was a month of change.  I paid off my old auto loan, opened a new one, closed my stupid FP MC, and my J Crew card finally saw a CLI, going from $740 to $4940 (yay!).  My scores literally change daily with new items reporting, and other items going away.  In January, I opened an AMEX BCE and a Green card, as well as a Visa from my CU (preapproved/offered to me from the same HP as my new auto loan).  All of the ups and downs in my scores were within 1-5pts -- no big deal, however yesterday my old auto loan reported as paid on EX and caused my score to drop 25 points!  I am very bummed to say the least.  I am now waiting to see another anticipated drop in score when my new auto loan reports later this week or next (I just made my first payment yesterday).  

So -- all that said, while I am sad to see my scores drop after they've seen some big jumps up, I have to remind myself that I am in a much better place financially and though my scores are not where I want them to be, I believe they will be in time.  So, at this time, I am gardening, gardening, gardening.   

Starting Score: EQ 657 TU 627 EX 650 12/2014
Current Score: EQ 747 TU 748 EX 738 3/2017
New Contributor

Found out I went up 5 points today Smiley Happy 

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: EX:649 EQ: 657 TU:661
Goal Score: 750

Good luck to all of our myFICO Fitness Challengers!
Moderator Emeritus
0 Kudos

coffeegal wrote:

So January was a great month for me, February -- not so much scorewise.  I was able to see the results of having tax liens and old collections removed from my credit reports.  The timing was great, as I needed to replace my old car.  February was a month of change.  I paid off my old auto loan, opened a new one, closed my stupid FP MC, and my J Crew card finally saw a CLI, going from $740 to $4940 (yay!).  My scores literally change daily with new items reporting, and other items going away.  In January, I opened an AMEX BCE and a Green card, as well as a Visa from my CU (preapproved/offered to me from the same HP as my new auto loan).  All of the ups and downs in my scores were within 1-5pts -- no big deal, however yesterday my old auto loan reported as paid on EX and caused my score to drop 25 points!  I am very bummed to say the least.  I am now waiting to see another anticipated drop in score when my new auto loan reports later this week or next (I just made my first payment yesterday).  

So -- all that said, while I am sad to see my scores drop after they've seen some big jumps up, I have to remind myself that I am in a much better place financially and though my scores are not where I want them to be, I believe they will be in time.  So, at this time, I am gardening, gardening, gardening.   

Wise words indeed!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.