Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Check In Thread

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Re: October 2017 Check In Thread

Checking in for October and I'm looking pretty good!  With the exception of EQ, my scores are well over 700 now.

I have a Midland Funding collections account still showing on my EQ report that I've been fighting for awhile now. It's scheduled to fall off in December but, I want it gone YESTERDAY! I've filed a complaint against them with the BBB and CFPB and they're basically saying that they have the file marked "cease and desist" at my insistence. BUT, continuing to report is neither ceasing nor desisting. So CFPB advised me to file my complaint against EQ, which I did. So, we'll see what comes out of that. At worst, I'll have to wait until December but, I know my score will jump over 700 when it does. EQ has been stingy with the points it gives me. I'm just hoping they'll at least give me a measley 5 points in the next few day as my acounts finish updating. EX just gave me 10pts today.

So, some accomplishments since last month:

• Crossed 750 (TU) 
  • Crossed 700 (EX)
  • FINALLY prequalifying for AMEX (Gold, Plat, BCE, BCP) and Chase (CSP, FU, Freedom)
  • Capital One secured graduated to unsecured
  • Discover (previously secured) CLI from $200 to $1200
  • Capital One Navigator approved for $25K (denied previously because I just bought my daughter a car in July, financed with NFCU)

I did slip up in September and accepted and instant approval at the ULTA counter. I rarely shop there and didn't need that card. But, I sort of felt like I won something and fell into that trap. So, I have a one month old account that I'm kicking myself for because AAoA has always been my problem since I'm starting over after a divorce.

But, all in all, I'm pretty excited about my progress and am looking forward to making some moves in November and I'm trying to plan them out now.

I do want to get a Chase and an AMEX card AND I need to purchase a car for myself. My Navy Federal Signature Cash Rewards card will be eligible for a CLI the first week in November. I'm at $7K now. I thought I'd up that amount and let it report before applying for Chase and then AMEX. Hopefully, seeing a higher CL and my scores will get me a nice SL.  Buuuuut, when do I app for my car loan? There are some great deals going on through the end of this month. I just saw that Toyota has 0% for 72 months + $1000 cash or $199/mo for 36mo lease. I am completely car-less after an accident in May. Do you think they'll have those same deals in November? If so, that's when I'll grab it.  Once all that's done, I'm going to do some gardening and hope to recovee and cross 760 by the end of the year. I'll also focus on increasing my income.

Sorry for this post being so long. It feels good to be able to talk it out with a supportive and like-minded group. I'm really excited to have all these options opening up to me now. After being under my exhusband's credit for 20 years, this feels great!

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 31 of 41
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@ohjoy wrote:

•  There are some great deals going on through the end of this month. I just saw that Toyota has 0% for 72 months + $1000 cash or $199/mo for 36mo lease. I am completely car-less after an accident in May. Do you think they'll have those same deals in November? If so, that's when I'll grab it.  Once all that's done, I'm going to do some gardening and hope to recovee and cross 760 by the end of the year. I'll also focus on increasing my income.

You did make some great progress and December is just around the corner!

Toyota- read the fine print, same deal 0% financing for years, I really don't know who gets this deal. My daughter needed a car, and my credit was not ready at that time. My sister, a VP at a very well known Financial Management Group co-signed for her. So her income was no problem, and I was sitting at the table when they were fanagling the price, etc. I heard her score it was well in the 800s they stated it. Been awhile but think 820 something?  Did get a good 1% APR, but was not 0% through Toyota Financial. Not sure about November financing, but I remember we did get the car in the summertime, so they run it quite often. 

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

October was an ok month, saw a CLI on two cards and have been working hard to remove some baddies. Saw a small increase in scores; I am hoping a few letters I sent out earlier help remove a few more things. Then it’s on to paying down some debt. I appreciate all the help on this forum, I don’t post much, but I do read many of the posts.Just asked NFCU for a CLI after getting the Platinum card with a $4300 CL, I am 90 days + and got the 24 hour message this past Friday.

Message 33 of 41
DollyLama
Established Contributor

My FICO 8 for this month, not much change since last month, holding steady, until I can pay down to the next threshold level. I did get dinged this month, but hope to recuperate this month, for charging on a CC that was inactive for 7 months, a comenity card (Wayfair), that has stated now, if zero balance at statement cut, will not report, so I let it hit to show some activity, and paid in full even though it was under 8%. Also, it caused another ding, as it let 50% of revolvers have a balance. ( Last month I went from 6 to 5 cards, and closed out a yearly fee one that had over the years, served its' purpose and time to move on.) 

I have 1 installment loan that is no longer reporting that is open, I've called them twice, last month and this month. They haven't updated since Aug, last 3 month reports across all 3B, shows the same balance, and no payment checkmarks. Will file dispute it not rectified next months reports. 

My mortgage scores jumped significantly, for reasons not known to me. I will have to hit the forums to try to figure out the jump, EQ went 738 to 751, TU went 733 to 769. amd EX not much, 753 down to 751. I have a clean bureau last month and this month. Haven't crossed any threshold of the installment under 8.9. I'm baffled. I love it, but baffled. 

I crossed 6 months in garden, and do not plan on applying for anything till a mortgage, I have decent scores in that fact, but much lower income than my husband, who has the much higher income, and not much credit. 

Just plan on continue to garden, and with holidays, bite my nails and scrimp to continue paying down the utilization, aggregate is under 19%. 

Message 34 of 41
Jewel9646

Well, I orignially signed on here in 2008.  I did amazingly well and in 2012 bought my first home.  After some affortunate events including a flood, I had to open up a few 0% credit cards to furnish and renovate my new townhouse.  I say all this because...1 1/2 years ago I signed on with MMI (money mangaement International) to go on a debt management plan.  The total there is $25k.  I pay $800 a month and it coming down of course.  At times, I get so discouraged.  But, I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  My score dropped and now is somewhere in the upper 500's - low 600's.  Until the MMI plan is paid off I feel like it is fruitless to pull my credit scores.  I just need encouragement.  Smiley Surprised(

Starting Score: EXP 587 10/27
Current Score:EXP 587
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 35 of 41
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Hi Jewel, 

I feel ya. Seems the harder I try, something goes awry and I keep getting this foot that grows larger on my neck. I'm sticking with it, trying the best I can and sometimes I could just fast forward to the time it will come, or win the lottery. You could always pull your reports to just to check that balances are indeed being shown as paid and decreasing every 3 months from Credit Check Total $1 free trial, true FICO 8 scores across all bureaus, just be sure and cancel within the week. Many do it here on the forums, and you can do it again 3 months after. We just going to have to stay the course for now. 

Message 36 of 41
Jewel9646

Thank you so much.

Starting Score: EXP 587 10/27
Current Score:EXP 587
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there everybody, first time doing the challenge and glad to be here. Started rebuild back in Feb 2017 w/ a secured $200 Disc, after not so much as pulling my reports for 4 years. Note: sticking head in the sand=not the best approach. 5 baddies and a late payment that never occurred. Corrected the late payment, able to get 3 of the baddies removed (1 medical and 2 were ex-hubs) , negotiating for removal of the last two this month. Bumped up to the 670s & got excited, got a Credit 1 @ $450 in May (closed this month to skip annual fee) Merrick @ $1100 and graduated Disc to $2.5k in July. Joined MyFICO and started learning so much from lurking here & at The Points Guy, that I got bold & went for Chase SW Plus, approved @ 2k October. Then I went for my whale, Amex, approved for BCE @1k also October. Chase SP and Amex Gold ended my app spree with an 11point ding to EX. Still seeking the best travel card I can get, plan to start travelling next year. Will garden until Amex gold prequals me, hope 4-6 months.
Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am slowly getting my feet back under me credit wise. I have two new secured credit cards, discover and capital one. I signed up for the FICO 3b scores so I can really see my progress. I love it and my credit report looks good I have great credit usage Becaue I only use 20% of my available credit. The only problem I have is the length of credit history. I did t know it was bad to pay off my loans so fast. I wish that people were taught how to have good credit. I am 36 a and just now know what I need to do to have a good FICO score. Now all I can do is wait, not pay off my car early and keep my credit cards and in a few years I will have a long credit history.
Message 39 of 41
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

So, I did have success with having Midland Funding finally removed from my Equifax report. I ended up having to file a complaint with CFPB against Equifax and Equifax decided to remove it. I didn't see when the update was sent to me so, today, I received a notification from MyFico of the score change. My score jumped 56 points, making Equifax my highest score at 758. Such a wonderful unexpected surprise today.

So, I'm ending this month with:

Equifax: 758

TransUnion: 755

Experian: 728

I'm so far from where I started in May. Looking forward to next month. I have big plans.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.