cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2012!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2012!

Happy 2012! I'm looking forward to great things as I get my financial life back in order!
Good luck everyone Smiley Happy
Message 71 of 1,050
daneatreia
Regular Contributor

Hi! I am in the process of credit restotation to buy a home early spring.  I have learned alot here so far and I cant wait until I am able to help others with the info I have obtained. 

Message 72 of 1,050
BGinVA
Contributor

I'm excited to be in the 2012 challenge.  I have a few rough years behind me where I let things slip, several late mortgage payments, and some credit card collections.  I have almost 2 years of perfect payments as of  2012 (one will age to 2 years in September), but have LOTS of lates and 3 paid collections that will need anywhere from 18 months to 5 years to totally drop off. 

After I let things get so bad I didn't rely on nor apply for much credit for a few years, except a personal loan for $6K with Citifinancial(now One Main Financial) and I got a pre-approved Orchard in Nov 2010 with a $300 balance (recently increased to $500).  Then the interest rates fell to an all time low, and I started fantasizing about refinancing my high rate HELOC, that's when I got serious last summer. 

First pull I did here at myfico in July was a 599, I knew I didn't have a shot.  But I signed up for credit monitoring and something fell off around Sep  and I got a nice boost to 642, so decided to take my chances with a Walmart card so I could get the free TU score, boost my credit mix and available credit with a card that had no AF and would be used for practical day to day expenses and paid off each month.  Got it with a $700 limit (and an increase to $800 in December). 

The next month when I got my TU score from Walmart I was sitting at 630 (yeah it took a little dip from the new card and inquiry) but I pulled the gun and started making some calls about refinancing.  After being turned down by Wells Fargo, I called Quicken loans and they fully approved me with just a few easy conditions.  So I refinanced my first that was at 6.5% and my HELOC that was at 9.75% to one mortgage at 4.25%.  Just prior to being approved for the refinance I had accepted a pre-screened offer from Merrick Bank (I fully disclosed it to the lender as I didn't know wether I was approved or not), and suprise $1K cl approved in December. 

My score is kind of bouncing around right now with several inquiries, new mortgage, paying off the HELOC, but right now its up (but I expect more bouncing as the new mortgage has not reported yet, just that I paid off my original 1st, HELOC still showing open with balance).  My goal for 2012 is I need a new vechicle, my current one is sitting at 195K miles and I commute 150 miles round trip on the days I have to go in the office, plus have 3 six to twelve hour road trip vacations planned this year and want to make sure we make it.  So I want to get to a minimum of 660 before I apply for auto financing, as that seems to be the lowest range of getting  a decent interest rate.  I'm hoping that will come by June.  I have a little playing around I can do with my credit card utilization, as I used them a bit for Christmas, but plan to have them all paid off by the end of January and then play around with using small percents to see how to best maximize my score.  Other than that, time is all I can do, as I messed up pretty bad a few years ago.  The thing that seems not fair to me, is I show 6 seriously delinquent accounts, but the truth is I only had 3, the other 3 are from the collection agencies (which I paid) who were assigned the accounts.  It somehow doesn't seem fair that you get a double ding for the same account.  I might try some goodwill letters, but other than that, time is the only thing that can help my score at this point.

I'm wishing everyone a wonderful FICO year and may we all reach our goals! 

Message 73 of 1,050
morganirish
Regular Contributor

I would like to hit the 800 mark.  It seems as if my scores climb a few points then drop a few points, but I keep trying.  Some inquirys will age off this year, as well as new accounts, so I am hopeful. 

Message 74 of 1,050
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Hi I have followed the forum for about 5 months. A lot of useful information.

My 2012 goal

Pay off tax lien

Pay CC's to less than 10% utilization

GW all other paid charged off and collection accounts

Watch credit scores increaseSmiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 75 of 1,050
2NE1
Established Contributor

Decided to join this Forum at the end of last year to start working on raising my scores and better my credit report history. I'm excited to join the 2012 FICO Fitness ChallengeSmiley Very Happy

Goals for 2012

- Get approved for a secured CC

- Get approved for two unsecured CCs

- GW (4) paid/settled collection accounts

- PFD (1) charged off account

- PFD (3) Medical collection accounts (Edited: Got every collection deleted through pre-HIPAA letters) 2/2/2012

- Remove (1) public record on EQ, EX, and TU

- Remove (60-90 days late) on TWO student loans.

Message 76 of 1,050
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings everyone and happy 2012! I am so excited for the new year and ready to get my finances in order. I've been a casual visitor of this forum for almost 5 years now, but today is the day I kick my butt into gear and improve my financial situation. I appreciate all your wisdom and guidance in advance.

Financial Situation

I've never recognized the affect not paying my bills would have on my financial well being. I understood the negative affects, but never recognized them. I figured, I'm young and I'll have time to fix it. Now I'm a 26 year old accountant making a decent salary, but I can't even get approved for a credit card due to my payment history. But I am a firm believer that your past is not an indication of who you are. I am letting go of my old bad habits and getting my credit to where is should be.

Your Goals

I've wanted to own a home since I was in high school. In 2014 I want to buy my first place. My goal is to have a credit score of at least 700 so that I get a great interest rate.

I will meet this goal my regularly paying my bills on time, reviewing my credit report and disputing inaccuracies (already found two major mistakes, hopefully this community can advise me how to dispute) and saving money religiously so that I can have at least a 10% down payment for my house.

Message 77 of 1,050
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

I realized I never said what I intend to do to raise my scores:

Get remaining Med collections deleted

Get new credit lines with higher CLs

Maintain a 10% Util

So excited for 2012!!!

;Starting Score: Low 500s FICO Aug 2008
Current Score: EQ 668 EX 723 TU 723 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 720s Across the Board! Almost there!

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 78 of 1,050
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Not quite sure what my goal for 2012 will be. Originally it was to obtain a 760 FICO, but I've already reached that a few years ahead of schedule. I really didn't it was possible with just a 5.5yr credit history. I guess I could always shoot for 800, though a part of me thinks it's highly unlikely for such a relatively short credit history.

Anyone think it's possible? I wonder if anyone has a list compiled of the highest credit scores ever recorded for various credit history lengths?

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Message 79 of 1,050
essilem
Valued Member

I found this site in November 2011 while I was going through the mortgage process.  I had a bad, but enlightening, experience with the first lender I applied with.  Things fell through with the first lender and I was recommended to a new lender by my realtor.  Some of the advice they were giving me seemed 'off' compared to what I was learning here.  I learned the LO's think they know how credit scoring works, but I made the changes to the scores myself from what I learned here.  Previous to October 2011, I had been working on rebuilding my credit for over 2 years (Feb 2012 will bring 3 years of 'clean' credit).  I was irresponsible in my younger days and just didn't care.  In 2009, I decided I needed to grow up and get with it.  I haven't had a late/missed payment or any collections since 2008.  I also had a few rebuilding credit cards that I continue to use wisely.  My biggest accomplishment is buying my first home on 12/23/11...and I couldn't have done it without everything that I learned here.  My goal is to keep my credit utilization under 9% and continue building!!

September 2011

Capital One-$500 cl--balance $189

Orchard Bank-$300 cl--balance $146

Credit One-$575 cl--balance $59

WFNNB-$560 cl (grocery store CC where I work)--balance$189

Care Credit-$1000 cl--balance $181

Capital One Auto--balance $19,000 (just opened in July)

November 2011

Capital One--paid balance down to $0

Orchard Bank--paid balance down to $0

Credit One--paid balance down to $10

WFNNB--paid balance down to $0

Care Credit--paid balance down to $0

December 2011

Closed on mortgage!!

January 2012

No new debt on previous cards!

Approved for GEMB/Mckinneys--$2500 cl--$2100 balance (new furniture, %0 percent interest until 2014...will be paid off with taxes)

Approved for GEMB/JC Penney's--$200 cl--$0 balance

Approved for Barclays--$1000 cl--$0 balance

Credit One--CLI to $675

Orchard Bank--CLI to $400

Now I'm gardening :-)

Starting Score: 611
Current Score: TU 674, EQ 625
Goal Score: 850

Message 80 of 1,050
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.