cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

Ok so it is a new year and like most of the time when a new year starts and through out the rest of the year Ialways make plans to get some of the debt that I have paid off.  But somehow something always comes up to cause the plan not to work.  This year I am really going to try to stick to the plan. 

Goals for 2013:

1.  Pay off some little loans that I have so that I will have more money to put toward the debt that I currently have.

2.  Pay off at least one credit card.

3.  Stop putting money on the other cards that I have so that I can get those paid off as quick as possible.

4.  I would like to start saving some money so that if an emergency comes up then I will have some money to help play it.

5.  The biggest and the hardest for me is to start saving the money so that when Christmas comes I will have the money to buy the gifts and not have to put them on credit cards and this goes for birthday presents throughtout the year also.

6.  Improve credit score so that in the next few years I will have a high enough credit score to get a house. 

I know these are a lot of goals but I think that I can accomplish at least a couple of them and make some progress on all of them. 

Message 181 of 735
brokeagain

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

Hi all,

Goal is a 720 credit score and a jumbo loan (something over 414,000). I just almost paid off credit card balances of 12-14.000 and got my car payments to less than ten months to go on a three year. I am at 682-686 on current scores I am aware of.

Am I there?  Will the credit scores change quickly?

I am also looking to refinance a 5.0 percent loan and wonder if anyone has done so with Discover?

Thanks,

broke again

Message 182 of 735
montana586
Regular Contributor

im really not understanding how to post my scores on the fico fitness challenge can someone explain how to do that

Starting Score: 675EQ 698 TU
Current Score: 698TU 675EQ
Goal Score: 720+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

EQ fico 675
Trans Fico 698
EX662
Message 183 of 735
montana586
Regular Contributor

nvm took me a moment lolSmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

Starting Score: 675EQ 698 TU
Current Score: 698TU 675EQ
Goal Score: 720+

EQ fico 675
Trans Fico 698
EX662
Message 184 of 735
Dhaunae

After finding myself in 2009 with a 500-ish credit score I worked to improve it and got it up to mid to high 600s last year, yay! Then in a time of personal upheaval (and, let's be honest, absolute stupidity), I racked up some pretty decent credit card debt and was 30 days late on a car payment, and BAM back to low 600s with me, plus that knocked my husband's score from the low-mid 700s down to the high 600s.

Here's where I stand at the end of 2012:

Loans:

Wells Fargo Mortgage - $172k

Security Service FCU Car Loan - $8.4k, 1 30-day late in 11/12

Cards (limit/balance) (total: $47,400/$13,547)

Chase Mileage Plus Visa - $16,500/$0

Commerce Bank Visa - $12,500/$8,889

Chase Freedom Visa - $6,000/ $3,730

Chase Coldwater Creek Visa - $5,000/$0

Nordstrom Store Card - $4,000/$200

Kohls Store Card - $1,000/$0

Capitol One - $750/$292 - I PIF each month but son in college uses this one for expenses so it never stays at 0 for long

Capitol One - $750/0

Just closed an HSBC card w/0 balance that dropped me from $950 credit limit to $305 credit limit due to the late payment, they can cram it.

Bad Things On My Credit

Equidata (medical) - $252 in collections

Convergent (Sprint, don't know if this is really mine) - $140 in collections

Receivables Management (medical) - $137 in collections

Verizon Wireless (surprise! thanks to my daughter) - $126 P&L showing 0 balance, no CA reporting on it tho

Plus one PIF collection

My goals for 2013:

1. Pay off Commerce Bank Visa (4k of this is a BT to pay off a high interest card of my husband's and that will be paid off by April, the rest is mine and should be done by July)
  2. Pay off Chase Freedom Visa (this is at 0% until 2014)
  3. Send GW, HIPAA Process, and PFD letters as appropriate to all baddies (letters written & will go out Monday)
  4. Stay on top of the GW, HIPAA and PFD situations, send letters out biweekly as needed, until I get those Bad Things off my credit!
  5. Put both loans on auto-pay to avoid EVER having another late payment
  6. Set up reminders to check that payments are made on time
  7. Build personal emergency fund from current $500 to minimum $2,000
  8. Add additional $10/biweekly paycheck to gift/Christmas fund to bring it more in line with actual spending
  9. After 6-8 months of no lates, try GW Hunting w/Security FCU and see if they'll delete that one late payment
  10. Stay in the garden for at least the first 6 months of 2013 and possibly longer in order to ...
  11. GET MY SCORES OVER 700!

Starting Score: 623 EQ 620 EX 613 TU (pulled by mtg lender, 1/7/13)
Current Score: 623 EQ 620 EX 613 TU
Goal Score: 700

Message 185 of 735
frankfjtaylor

Hello Everyone!!  I've been reading the myFico forum for sometime so let me start by thanking every contributor for sharing their knowledge and credit related experiences, they've helped a great deal. Here's where I've been and where I will be:  

In 2011/2012 

• Got serious about cleaning up CRs and improving score.
  • Improved score from 563 to 670.
  • Removed all (but one) OLD debt with DV and PFD.
  • Got student loans out of Default.
  • Opened two secured cards (Capital One and USAA Amex) to improve and establish better credit history. 
  • Bankruptcy fell off January 2013 -Woohoo!!!

2013 Goals

• Deal with last negative on TU report- Progressive $174 (it's really bugging me)
  • Increase FICO to 700 by April
  • VA Mortgage by May
  • App for Home Improvement card for appliances
  • Join Garden Club December 2013

Starting Score: TU: 670 EQ: 618 EX: 670
Current myFICO Scores as of 7/5/13: TU: 757 EQ: 725 EX: 750
Goal Score: TU: 800 EQ: 780 EX: 800
Message 186 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to get 700 with all three bureaus. Waiting til opening hours with myfico to confirm my identity to get all 3, starting at 671 experian

Message 187 of 735
justuhgurl

I am taking the challenge for so many reasons. I come from a family who did not take care of thier credit. Now that I am out on my own I am working to fix my mistakes and build a solid financial future. As a college student I racked up $20,000 in student loans and really abused my first credit card. That got cancelled and paid off for less than what was owed.

Fastforward to today. I am slowly paying off my student loans, making on time payments and have one secured credit card with a limit of $300. I am trying to live below my means. My goal for this year is to reduce my overall debt and hopefull see my secured cc graduate and increase the cc limit.

But by far the biggest goal for this year is to remain informed. For me that means checking my score, report and checking every month. What you don't know can't hurt you, haha, yea right!

Starting Score: EX666, EQ666, TU666
Current Score: Ex691, EQ667, TU674
Goal Score: 850

Message 188 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello 2013 Challengers!

This year I want to figure out why my signature does not display the logo properly - I cut and pasted and only typed over the 800s.  Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Financial goals: 

1. My son graduates high school this year (woohoo!) so I'll need to figure out how to best pay for college.  FAFSA (not expecting anything) then what to spend first Coverdell or 529.  Are there pros and cons to which on to use first?
  2. Home renovations - major Sandy damage, still 'negotiating' with the insurance company but I'd like to evaluate an addition to the house (4th bedroom) since they'll be doing major restoration anyway but I'm not certain if I'm in this house for the long haul or if I'll be able to recoup the coast of the addition
  3. Increasing my retirement savings - maximzing 401k for the match, need to determine if I can max out a traditional or Roth IRA at my income level
  4. Maximizing payments on debt (HELOC ~$10k and I had to replace the HVAC ~$6k in my rental this year)

Good luck everyone...

Message 189 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so it is a new year and like most of the time when a new year starts and through out the rest of the year Ialways make plans to get some of the debt that I have paid off.  But somehow something always comes up to cause the plan not to work.  This year I am really going to try to stick to the plan. 

Goals for 2013:

1.  Pay off some little loans that I have so that I will have more money to put toward the debt that I currently have.

2.  Pay off at least one credit card.

3.  Stop putting money on the other cards that I have so that I can get those paid off as quick as possible.

4.  I would like to start saving some money so that if an emergency comes up then I will have some money to help play it.

5.  The biggest and the hardest for me is to start saving the money so that when Christmas comes I will have the money to buy the gifts and not have to put them on credit cards and this goes for birthday presents throughtout the year also.

6.  Improve credit score so that in the next few years I will have a high enough credit score to get a house. 

I know these are a lot of goals but I think that I can accomplish at least a couple of them and make some progress on all of them. 

Here's a tip for presents but be very careful with this advice.  I don't want you to spend willy-nilly.  I keep a "gift bucket" when I fond things dirt cheap I buy them and save then for birthdays or other gift giving occasions.  For example, I just found some really nice perfume and candle gift sets on sale for 75% off, leftovers from the holiday.  I got them for $2.50 or less.  These will be Mother's day gifts for family and friends.  I do this all year long when I find a really nice gift item for next to nothing, I buy it and put it in my box to be gifted later.

Message 190 of 735
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.