cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

tag
beejie21

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

Hey, all.

Over the last 5 years or so, I have completely disregarded my credit situation.  I have several accounts that have gone to collections due to my wife having some medical issues as well as one from Verizon Wireless.  I've been deployed with the USMC for almost 6 months and have been paying off those accounts that have gone to collections.  I am open to any tips/strategies that I might have available to assist in cleaning up my credit report.  Over the next couple months, I should be able to finish paying those collections off.  In addition, as soon as I return to the States, I will be getting applying for a credit card.  If anyone has any experience/preferences in regards to a specific card to apply for bad-credit situations, I'd be more that happy to hear them. All-in-all, over the remainder of my contract with the USMC (roughly 2 years) my entire focus financially is to repair and build my credit so that my wife and I can buy a house at a decent interest rate when my contract ends.  Looking forward to the learning experiences and regular updates with you all.

Starting Score (Feb 2013): 577
Current Score (Feb 2013): 577
Goal Score: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 251 of 735
banjeman

I am tired of my score fluctuating between 640-720. I see the biggest issue with the way I use credit is the utilization and credit inquiries, I have never been late or missed a payment in my entire credit history, yet whenever I take out a new loan or open a credit card account, my score takes a dive and totally disregards the 10 years of no issues (not sure why it is only ten years though, as I have had credit for a lot longer than that). So I am going to aggressively pay down my debt to get my utilization under 30% and not have my credit checked the rest of the year in hopes of finally eclipsing the 750 mark.

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 660
Goal Score: 750

Message 252 of 735
bethany
Valued Member

Woo hoo!  Starting out 2013 right!

Alert:Your FICO® score has exceeded your target score of 590

Score Watch alert/Changes to your FICO® Score

Your FICO® score has gone up to 593 on February 10, 2013.

Target score alert:Your FICO® score has exceeded your target score of 590.

Your FICO score may have gone up because the following 4 factors are not hurting your FICO score as much as before:

• You have a serious delinquency (60 days past due or greater) or a derogatory description on your credit report.
  • You have multiple accounts showing missed payments or derogatory descriptions.
  • You’ve recently missed a payment or the date of your most recent missed payment is unknown.
  • You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

Starting Score 2012: 484 Starting Score 2013: 566 Starting Score 2014: 650
Current Score: 660
Goal Score #1: 660 - achieved! 6/28/14

Goal Score #2: 680
Message 253 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All!

Defaulted on all my cc on jan 2009, then in 2011 got an offer in the mail from HSBC, with 24% APR and $59 anual fee, got approved, then got a crap1 no anual fee and canceled the HSBC cc exactly 1 year later. No other cc for now, my new goal is Bj's barclaycard. Got sued once by crap1 and settled, then studied my rights and sue a debt collector, they settled. Manage to delete 4 collections either by suing them or just pointing out the violations, and thretening to sue. Anyways I have since my last law suit, started to calm down and projecting my credit for a 2017 mortgage, when all bad accounts are out, and I had saved enough money.

My goal for this year is stepping out of crap1, and getting a store charge, one I can use, like amazon or something, let's go for amazon charge.

Message 254 of 735
mowheat73
Valued Member

Feb 12, 2013 Update Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

Greetings All!!

It has been a challange address my credit issue.  Unfortunately, I have been a victim of identity theft.  I was under the impression once I notified the credit bureaus and supplied them with documentation, then the items within question would be removed and thoroughly research.  That was not the case, especially with Experian.

However, good news.  I have gotten the Certegy account from Equifax and First Premier account from Experian removed from my credit report. 

Additionally, my sister added me to her $7500 credit card, which increased my score by 25 points to each bureau.  Also, the deletion from Experian added 34 points and the deletion from Equifax added 68 points. 

I am still in the process of fighting the big 3 credit bureaus, but I now that I am well equipped with knowledge and tools to have successful disputes, I am well on my way.

Again, thanks everyone for his or her input into my personal situation.

Starting Score: USAA EX 570 EQ 574 TU 603
Current Vantage Score: USAA EX 657 EQ 672 TU 654
Fico 8: EX 672 EQ 744 TU 667
Goal Score: 780

Message 255 of 735
560AndRising
Established Member

My financial situation is your basic start-over. I was laid off from a good job in 2010, just recently started a new position which doesn't pay well, have about 57k in student loans, 16k in credit card charge-offs, afew accounts in collections, a $500 joint unsecured cc with my lady, a $500 jewelry store card, and was just approved for the Capital One secured cc. I'm unsure of what limit to set/deposit, so I have been pouring over the threads, in an attempt to gain some insight. I may just go with the $49 deposit for $200 CL. Any advice is more than welcome! 

Anyway, that's a brief run-down. My goal for the year is to see my FICO score increase in general, and hopefully into the 600s, with the ultimate initial goal of 650 being more of a long-term pursuit, as I'm unsure of how long it will take. Loving the forum thus far, and appreciate all of the effort and knowledge that you all put forth, helping everyone in their quest for more financial freedom. Thanks for reading!

Starting Score: 560 EQ (Scorewatch), ??? EX, 607 TU (BECU Pull)
Current Score: 618 EQ (Scorewatch), 582 EX (V. 2 Mortgage Lender Pull), 626 TU (Old Navy Increase Pull)
Goal Score: 660 EQ, 660 EX, 700 TU

Message 256 of 735
flash2093
Valued Member

Hi, I just joined the fitness challenge this year. I've been working on my credit for a while, but I really need to have some real progress for this year. I am looking to buy my first home and I need my credit scores to start climbing faster. If all works as planned, I should be moving into my first home soon. Wish me luck Smiley Happy

Starting Score:(11/2012) EQ 611
Previous Scores:(2/12) EQ 616 - (3/15) EQ 628 - (3/28) EQ 636 - (4/5) EQ 639
3 Current Scores 6/1/13: EX 650 EQ 654 TU 681
Goal Score:660

Message 257 of 735
cbbanks03

Im doing my best but a little stuck. started below 600 for all 3 but cracked 600 for TU and EX. I currently have 7 Paid Derog but sending letters today to see if they will delete.  Though I just spoke with Rep from NationWide and he said they do not delete but still sending the letter. Practicing way better credit practices and looking to be at 700 by august and purchasing my 1st home......

Starting Score: EQ 540 EX 560 TR 603
Current Score: EQ 571 EX 619 TR 649
Goal Score: 720-750

Message 258 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time user.

I am ready and willing to go through the pain of repairing my once above average credit scores.

My introduction explains my pain, but in all, I take the responcibility for my misfortune and do not lay blame on others.

Hope to find resources and help as things come up.

Thanks in advance all

Message 259 of 735
liesierre
Regular Contributor

alright, I'm in.

I demolished my credit several years ago with a divorce, layoff, dismissed bk13 and a foreclosure....then for several years I survived mostly on cash.

I decided that I want to try buying a house again in 1.5 to 2 years, but this time I want to do things right. I want to have a down payment. I want to have a good interest rate, and I want to have a house that I can afford. This time around I'm gonna do things right and not bite off more than I can chew. This time the house will be all mine with nobody to mess me up and bring me down.

So, the process starts now.
I have 3 collections, a BK and a Foreclosure.
The foreclosure is aging off soon, the BK is aging off in January, and I'm working on getting the collections paid/deleted.

I'm also trying my best to obtain some revolving credit so I can re-establish myself and put myself in a good position.

I'm going to baby the hell out of my credit from now on.

Starting Score: EQ 633 TU ? EX 623 (lender)
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 720 EX 682
Goal Score: 720

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 260 of 735
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.