cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

@psimac wrote:

Since I've found this forum, I've become obsessed with my credit.  I couldn't even sleep last night lurking about in the various areas. 

Currently have CapOne Platinum Visa, unsecured with a $450 limit and a Wells Secure card with $1,000 secured limit. Burned HSBC & CapOne about 5 years ago, as we got caught up in housing slaughter. Leasing a Volt from Ally and Wells Dlr Svcs financed my other car--car loan credit is stellar. Old collections are killing me.

Goals

• Negotiate, beg and somehow remove collections/COs from CapOne & HSBC
  • Raise score to 720 by December (any advice)
  • Lease another car & trade the car I'm financing
  • Have a $10k limit on a card by this time next year

So glad I found this community--you guys rock! 

You sound a bit like me.   Sometimes I would forget to sleep, thinking I might miss something.  Lol.....

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 601 of 735
MillyBean

Hi all.  New to the board.  Stumbled onto this site looking for credit building tips.  I'm prior svc military.  Not much financial training as a child.  Made stupid mistakes with my first credit card and it spiralled from there. Went back to school and graduated.  I'm a nurse!  Yay!  But now I've got to get my financial house in order.  Once upon a time, but you live and learn. 

I've done well for my first month:  

-- Items paid off:  2 collection accounts.

-- Accounts opened:  Fingerhut CL of $100.  First Premier CL of $350.  Capitol One...?  .

-- 27 point FICO increase 

-- Paid $1481 to Sallie Mae.  I owe $13760.42 to the US Dept of Education and another 6772.09 in Fed/Private Student Loans. I've been paying since they came due in February but it's only since May that I've been throwing everything into it. 

I don't have any revolving credit lines on my accounts. No cards.   Only installment student loans.  I own my car.   So, I went a little crazy trying to apply for new accounts. 5 inquiries and some won't pan out. Got rejected by Khol's.  JCPenney, Amazon...I'm not sure.   I would've gone with USAA or BOA but I didn't.  These high interest cards have annual fees and I read that it's a bad thing to cancel them b/c they make up my entire credit history. If I've gotta hold the cards then I need a high credit limit and my money's too tied up with these student loans to make the deposit.  I read that Capitol One doesn't really allow transfers to secured cards unless you sign a new appl?

BOA does though, from what I understand.

First Premier reported IMMEDIATELY and it's <15% balance.  Fingerhut hasn't reported but it's 0 balance. Wasn't given much of a credit limit so I had to pay it off ASAP. My Capitol One card isn't here. I paid. I was approved. Guess it takes awhile. 

I disputed some late pymnts on Sallie Mae.  I was only late for the US Dept of Education. 1 month (so I don't know where this 120 day thing comes from).  I couldn't find a job. LOL  I've always paid the Fed/Private Loans on time. We'll see what comes of it.

I disputed the First Bank of Delaware.  I don't recall having an acct with them but that institution slammed my report with a 'charge off - bad debt' and all of this ugly inflammatory language.  I see that the bank's been shut down?  Well, we'll see how the inquiry goes.     

Short Term Goal

-  Pay Sallie MAe. I plan to be done with the US Dept by January. I'm not so much worried about the Fed/Private loans. I can knock that out in <5 months. Even if I didn't, the cost per mth is manageable.  A 'stable' $81/mth.  It doesn't grow. The debt from the US Dept of Education is something that I have to stay 1-2 months ahead of.  It's a monster.  It was close to $400/mth before I just started throwing everything and the kitchen sink into that principle.  I wasn't behind on pymts.  The monthly payment just kept growing.

-- Send Goodwill letters to remove paid collection accounts

-  Call Capitol One and make sure the card's still coming LOL then make initial charge to Capitol One and pay down.

-   Steady and careful use of my budding credit card collection

7/12 EX: 528 ; TU: 602: EQ: 561 (freecreditreport.com)
7/18 EX: 551 ; TU: -- ; EQ: -- (freecreditreport.com)
7/25 EX: 600 ; TU: 584; EQ: 570 (myfico)

Message 602 of 735
jsk0307
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I've officially committed to the 2013 myFICO Fitness Challenge.  I'm off to a late start (wow, it's almost August) but nonetheless I set a goal and plan to get there!

I'm new to the forums in general.  I recently came across the site while researching some options to try to make a change to my credit reporting.  Since then I've subscribed to ScoreWatch and pulled 2 of 3 credit reports. 

I have set my goal at 600 but I feel I can exceed with a successful plan.  Here are some of my short term goals:

-  I currently have a $450 debt to Verizon which has been sent to collections.  I plan to pay that off asap. 

-  I have a 90 day late pay from Capital One Auto that was settled by paying it off in full.  I am sending out a GW letter this week to ask if they would be kind enough to change the reporting

-  I have one debt that appears to be reported twice.  Still looking into my options here.

-  Of course continue to pay down debt on all good standing accounts

Naturally the long term goal is to obtain (and maintain) a healthy credit score.  I'd like to refi our mortage to get away from the ARM that we have today.  I'd also like to have the peace of mind that I can get a loan or credit on demand if I need to.

Starting Score: 566
Current Score: 707
Goal Score: 750

Message 603 of 735
Vhurst3579

So, I see these forums every time I look something up that is credit related and find them to be very informative, but everyone's story is just a bit different, so I'm sure someone out there can relate to my story.

A little about me...

2006 foreclosed on a home due to medical bills and a mortgage we should never have been approved for in the first place, led to filing ch 7 bk. took a long time to get the bk done. Finally filed sept. 2009, discharged feb. 2010.

Haven't had 1 late payment since 2006, have 2 capital one credit cards that keep a zero balance. Have a 15 yr FHA mortgage and a DTI less than 29%.

We keep a very close eye on our credit since losing everything the first time. I recently found that my identity was stolen because I check my fico at least once per month. Was able to call all creditors to have the inquiries removed (headache!) but that won't be for another 30-90 days. (Literally, just happened Monday)

When I started monitoring in 2009, my fico was 545, immediately after the bk my fico went up to 606.

Fast forward 4 years with a ch 7bk and a stolen identity later, my fico is now 710. Hoping that I will soon get my fico up to 750 and be able to get an airlines reward card!

Good luck to all taking this fico challenge!
Message 604 of 735
fatstick

i just joined last night and would like to post my stats in my signature. when i copy and paste the html code in my signature box it states

Your setting's value has been changed because invalid HTML was found. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the value and re-submit the form when you are satisfied.

What am i doing wrong?

Starting Score: 558TU,600EQ
Current Score: 558TU, 600EQ
Goal Score: 850

Message 605 of 735
burghpa
Regular Contributor

I just joined today though i have been subscribing to ScoreWatch from myfico since Mar 2013. here is my summary

1. Score on March 2013 - 550

2. Score as of today (July 2013) - 609

3. Goal : 700

Details:

•  7 Negative reporting (way too many late payments 120days +) , but I was saving it up to pay off debts.
  • I paid all the outstanding balances except one account , which have a balance of 11K, and Collection agency is not helping at all. once that is settled, hopefully it will improve my score.  This is a BMW Credit card, and the Collection Agency alrady served me summons. So I contacted a lawyer firm, and escrowed the 40% of the amount. Hopefully they will settle this. So I will be debt free finally.
  •  I have a car loan with Capital one, not a single late payment, so that is in good standing.
  • As of today, I am almost debt free , other than Car loan, and the collection of 11K.
  • Applied for  CreditOne Secured card  about a month ago- $300 limit
  •  Applied for Capital one Platinum last  night, got approved for $500 - This is NOT a secured card. I tried my luck and got it approved.
  •  Planning to add one more card, I am going to wait a bit to see if Paying off my Discover card today will improve the score.
  • As per  MyFico Score simulator I can move upto $640-669 after my discover card payoff today. I will have to wait a month to see.
  •  Hopefully 700 is achievable by end of this year.
  •  Looking to write GW letter for the 7 negative reports (out of which one will fall off next month).

I am sure this community will be of great help in achieving my score.   I am looking for email address for the following  7 creditors  for sending out GW letters.

1.  GECRB/BREP

2.  Discover

3. CitiBank

4. Chase Bank

5. BoA

Update:  1 point increase today , gone up from 609 to 610. The new activity reported as  Credit Inquiry (from Capital One). 

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 606 of 735
burghpa
Regular Contributor

I got the same error, submit again, after second or third try, my  signature is updated.

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 607 of 735
Startnover2
Established Member

I'm taking the fitness challenge

Starting Score: 497
Current Score: 523
Goal Score: 650

Message 608 of 735
rslinwi

Keeping goals simple. Taking corrective actions to create a strong financial status.

Message 609 of 735
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

I'm late joining the challenge; however, I do believe in the phrase "Better late than never." I have made many mistakes with my credit over the years and I'm now determined to improve my credit standings. I started my credit journey a few months ago with a 585 fico. I checked my score two months ago and it was a 610. Hopefully that number has increased. I'm focusing on one specific goal now...to fly high and join the 700 Club! I have two secured credit cards through USAA with a $2500 limit each and was surprisingly approved for a Wal-Mart card with a $600 limit. Once I recieve my Wally card and TU score I will update my credit score. I plan to keep a low balance on all my cards, pay them in full, and hopefully watch my credit score increase. This forum has truly inspired me and I wish everyone luck with achieving their goals.:smileyhappy:

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 610 of 735
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.