Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% to 1% UTI resulted in 17 point increase

tag
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

0% to 1% UTI resulted in 17 point increase

I received an alert this morning from MyFICO stating one of my card balances increased $4.00 from 0% to 1% utilization.  That $4.00 balance resulted in a 17 point increase on Experian.  I"ve heard from many on these boards to only have 1 card reporting a balance and I guess that may not be true.  I always have 1 card reporting a balance every month with around a 7% UTI and now a 2nd card reported a $4.00 balance and it gave me a score increase.  Still trying to figure out all the little nuances of FICO.

8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 0% to 1% UTI resulted in 17 point increase

@Tim_S wrote:

I received an alert this morning from MyFICO stating one of my card balances increased $4.00 from 0% to 1% utilization.  That $4.00 balance resulted in a 17 point increase on Experian.  I"ve heard from many on these boards to only have 1 card reporting a balance and I guess that may not be true.  I always have 1 card reporting a balance every month with around a 7% UTI and now a 2nd card reported a $4.00 balance and it gave me a score increase.  Still trying to figure out all the little nuances of FICO.

I'm guessing something else changed honestly.

We've never had any data that suggested any non-zero number triggered the all $0's penalty (assuming that it was reported to the bureau anyway) unless the card that had a balance was an AU and discounted under FICO 8.

Did you see a similar corresponding drop assuming you went from 2->1 cards previously?  Test it would be my suggestion.

        
Message 2 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

How long was that card reporting a zero balance?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Tim_S wrote:

The score change and the utilization change may have been, and IMHO undoubtedly were, unrelated to each other.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 9
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

I don't know if anything else changed.  All I know is I received an alert from MyFICO stating, 

FICO® SCORE CHANGE
  • UTILIZATION PERCENTAGE
  • 0%1%
    • BALANCE AMOUNT
    • $0.00$4.00

And shows a 17 point increase from 692 to 709 as a result.  It doesn't display any other information.

Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Tim_S wrote:

I don't know if anything else changed.  All I know is I received an alert from MyFICO stating, 

FICO® SCORE CHANGE
  • UTILIZATION PERCENTAGE
  • 0%1%
    • BALANCE AMOUNT
    • $0.00$4.00

And shows a 17 point increase from 692 to 709 as a result.  It doesn't display any other information.

The MyFICO alert doesn't say "as a result", you're reading that into it. The MyFICO alerts seem almost designed to cause this confusion, but the assumption that the one resulted from the other is not correct.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever caused the increase, big congratulations!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with @So-Jam

There are so many moving internal parts to read into each and every small numerical change within the Fico model, let's be fair...it's designed to have a bit of mystery, if not they've got nothing to sale.

Let's say they 'allow' us access to 80% of exactly how to models work and we intellectually guess another half or 10%, even 15% there will always be 5-7% unknown variables, period.
Message 8 of 9
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

You're right, I did assume  the 17 point increase was due to the utilization increase and you're also correct when you stated MyFICO alerts are designed to give people that impression.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.