Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

003 PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH

tag
Goal810
Established Member

003 PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH

My goal is to get really high credit scores and one of the reasons reported on my Transunion credit score for why it isn't higher is:

003 PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH.

Can you guys help me tease out this calculation to figure out what is too high an amount? I've determined that this refers to student loans and is probably calculated as loan balance/original amount. For those of you that have gotten this same message, what is the % of loan balance to loan amount that you had when your score was pulled? Any percentage below what anyone reports in this thread is probably okay.

Currently mine is at 104% and was at that amount or higher when the score was pulled. Looking on these forums someone else had 104% and got this same message. I wonder if I get it under 100% if it will be considered okay, or if it needs to be much below that.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: 003 PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH

Yup I had this for a while because of my student loans. I did a consolidation and that remove it and my scores jumped. But only on TU.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am receiving this message or similar on both, TU and Experian. My TU ratio is 75.9%, and because one of my creditors is not reporting to Experian, it is 74.2% there.

Message 3 of 4
Simply827
Established Contributor

Don't put too much interest into these messages. They aren't things that are really being used to calculate your FICO score. It is very common for student loans to go higher than the original amount taken out. The balances on revolving credit lines (credit cards) is what is taken into account.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.