Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+1 inquiry, -20% utilization

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

+1 inquiry, -20% utilization

Have you ever willingly done a credit inquiry for a new credit card application, just so that you will likely get a new line which has a high enough limit to lower your credit utilization?

Its like, a minimal hit to your credit, to get a much bigger boost to your credit

hacks and cheats man

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: +1 inquiry, -20% utilization

@gen-specific wrote:

Have you ever willingly done a credit inquiry for a new credit card application, just so that you will likely get a new line which has a high enough limit to lower your credit utilization?

Its like, a minimal hit to your credit, to get a much bigger boost to your credit

hacks and cheats man

I'm sure that's the motivation in quite a few applications.  It's not a good thought process though because you have no way of knowing what type of credit limit that you'll get.  Just when you think you will get a big one and  poof you don't and wasted an inquiry or two.  You should apply for a card because you have a specific need and use for it.

Message 2 of 4
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

hacks and cheats man

I'm sure that's the motivation in quite a few applications.  It's not a good thought process though because you have no way of knowing what type of credit limit that you'll get.  Just when you think you will get a big one and  poof you don't and wasted an inquiry or two.  You should apply for a card because you have a specific need and use for it.

Right, I had typically been gambling those on credit limit increases!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

hacks and cheats man

Agreed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.