Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year drop in AAoA worth 40 points?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

1 year drop in AAoA worth 40 points?

Disappointing update today. I knew my score would be lower since my Cap1 Spark turned up on my personal report (still ticked about that) but there was more to it than I expected. 2 very old tradelines also fell off my TU and 1 fell off my EQ. Prior to my unexpected new tradeline on the Spark, my AAoA on TU had been 10 years on 23 accounts and EQ 7 years on 13 accounts. Scores were 789 and 777 respectively. And after this still reshuffling of old and new accounts, my scores are now 749 TU and 751 EQ with 22 and 13 accounts respecitvely. UGH. That's a 40 and 26 point drop for new AAoA's of 9 years on TU and 5 years 9 months on EQ. 

Does AAoA of OPEN accounts figure into scores? I realize open and closed accounts together form AAoA but do open ones have their own AAoA as an added wrinkle to the scoring? And what exactly happens to your score when new accounts show up besides a recalculation of your AAoA? Is there some temporary drop to scores simply for having new accounts that fades after a few months? And I don't mean inquiries. I mean just the fact that there's a new account. 

I am especially concerned because a new account in the form of mortgage will be showing up at the end of this month. I know mortgages are treated differently to a certain extent and I am not sure what kind of positive impact it will have but the plain ol' AAoA will drop even more.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 1 year drop in AAoA worth 40 points?

I can see a drop like that especially since the new TL was added (the new TL ding), drop in AAoA, and drop of your older (oldest?) accounts. 

AAoA doesn't score open OC accounts separately. It's all together, opened and closed, good and bad. 

Adding accounts doesn't always impact AAoA. As an example, dropping from 2 yrs 11 mo. to 2 yr 1 mo, means that AAoA did not change, since FICO scores on a whole number. It would mean though you have to wait longer to hit 3 in that example.

I vote for a gradual increase over the next 6-12 months as that new acct ding wears off. Most will return within 6-7 months, or at least based on IME. Now the new mortgage will slow some of that return, though.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.