Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% New credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10% New credit

When you look at a pie chart of how the credit score is calculated, it mentions 10%  new credit. I have heard this explained that it means you should open up a few new accounts every year to help your score. I think it may have more to do with not having too much new credit. Can someone explain what this means?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 10% New credit

lrand wrote:

When you look at a pie chart of how the credit score is calculated, it mentions 10%  new credit. I have heard this explained that it means you should open up a few new accounts every year to help your score. I think it may have more to do with not having too much new credit. Can someone explain what this means?

Thanks

Opening new accounts every year will hurt and not help your score. New credit is basically the damage you receive when apping for credit (inquiries), opening new TLs (I lose an avg. of 20-25 pts per new CC), and taking a hit in your AAoA if that drops by a whole number.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for confirming,

I didn't think it sounded correct.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does AAoA stand for? Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

AAoA = Average Age of Accounts.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you
Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Average age of accounts is:

Add up the time from the opening date of each account in your CR (open and closed) until today, and divide that by the number of accounts.  That is your AAoA.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.