Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 point drop because of inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 point drop because of inquiry

My FICO dropped 10 points because of an inquiry (which was approved). There is a new account on there as well as a result. How long does it take for the score to rebound (because I will have a new TL)?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 10 point drop because of inquiry

Okay, no new account reported yet... Will this further reduce the score or go up? One of the "negatives" on my report was that I didn't have that many recent active accounts... I am looking at possibly refinancing next summer and am trying to get my scores up a little before then (they are TU: 689, EQ: now 711 - was at 721, and EX: 749).
Thanks.

Message 2 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Your score will bounce back... inqs have very little impact (10%) on your total score. The new account may initially bring your score down, but will only help you in the long run assuming you are responsible with it!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 points. Not bad. I was hit for 20 points. The new account might show good points after 3 months, but the inquiry will effect mostly for 6 months. Then fade off after 12 months. I always tell people 6 months.
Message 4 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
10 points. Not bad. I was hit for 20 points. The new account might show good points after 3 months, but the inquiry will effect mostly for 6 months. Then fade off after 12 months. I always tell people 6 months.

There is no difference between 6 and 12 months. All Inqs within 12 months are weighted the same.
Message 5 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Including getting new cell phones for your family from Cingular  Smiley Sad  And changing cell phone service when the old ones expired.  Meaning 3 **bleep** enquires in a year, and me being told by my credit report that I was desperately seeking credit  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:
Including getting new cell phones for your family from Cingular  Smiley Sad  And changing cell phone service when the old ones expired.  Meaning 3 **bleep** enquires in a year, and me being told by my credit report that I was desperately seeking credit  Smiley Sad

Its frustrating...  I would hardly call this seeking credit. Should say "desperately seeking new phone service". Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Tuscani wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Its frustrating...  I would hardly call this seeking credit. Should say "desperately seeking new phone service". Smiley Happy

More a case of "I have a daughter - desperately seeking cheaper phone service that does a million things adults don't want"  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

More a case of "I have a daughter - desperately seeking cheaper phone service that does a million things adults don't want"  Smiley Very Happy

HAHAHAH! Luckily my kid is only 5.. I am dreading the teen years as she already thinks she is 14.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry about it, it will bounce back up.  My exp score dropped almost 60 points in two weeks because of new trade lines, 2 new inq and disputed information that was corrected [not corrected right, but changed nonetheless].  I'm not too concerned, as it should bounce back in a few weeks.  I think it is important to monitor and be aware of the changes to the score, but if there is no negative information reporting [new negative], then the scores should equalize eventually [like a few weeks or a month].  I think that the dings the credit take for inqs or new credit are transient.  It is the bad stuff that hurts your credit in the long run.  I think we just have to learn to ride the waves...JMHO
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.