cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 pt. fico score dropped!!

tag
MBCLA

100 pt. fico score dropped!!

my EQ fico score dropped 100 points for no apparent reason. I haven't sought credit, no inquires, no collections, and no change on reports for more than 3 months.  Any ideas on why this would happen?  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

Re: 100 pt. fico score dropped!!

@MBCLA wrote:

my EQ fico score dropped 100 points for no apparent reason. I haven't sought credit, no inquires, no collections, and no change on reports for more than 3 months.  Any ideas on why this would happen?  Thanks. 

YYEEOOUUCCHH!  If there is no other feasible reason for such a drop, I'd have to think you got re-bucketed (placed in a different scorecard group). There could be SO many reasons for being rebucketed- anything from moving into a new AAOA bracket to baddies aging/falling off, etc.. But a 100 point drop is certainly brutal.

Another possible reason: Had you recently (< 3 mo. or so) disputed anything on your report? Because if you had, your score could have been sitting temporarily high since that information is not used for scoring while in dispute. Once they finished their investigation of your dispute (& it didn't come out in your favor) your score could tank when the cb factored it back in. 

Message 2 of 14
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

And are you comparing like scores? That is, are you comparing a ScoreWatch EQ with a ScoreWatch EQ?

Or are you comparing a TU with an EQ? Or Comparing an EQ FICO with a EQ FAKO?

If it's the latter, then it may not be that your actual score has dropped, just that two sources are showing widely different scores. But if you're comparing the exact SAME score over time, yes you've got a mystery there and should check what's on your credit report to make sure there aren't any mistakes or that you haven't been a victim of identity theft.

Message 3 of 14
MBCLA

Yes. In December I disputed  erroneous information on my report and it was changed by the creditor amend my score improved 30 pts.  Nothing since then and now Bang!!   I am not seeking credit anytime soon but just curious why it would happen without a change on my reports.  thanks for responding.  I am not familiar with rebuckeating though. What happens with that? 

Message 4 of 14
MBCLA

No. I only use FICO scores from fico.com. I checked my EQ report and no changes and I've only had 1 inquiry from 1.5 years ago. that's why I'm puzzled about the decrease.
Message 5 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moving to understanding FICO scoring for better visibility.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

There has been recent discussion of MyFico changing the EQ model on this site from 04 to 08.

Applying a different formula to identical data will yield a different result.

Here's a link on what has changed in 08:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/fico8.aspx

Message 7 of 14
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

@MBCLA wrote:

Yes. In December I disputed  erroneous information on my report and it was changed by the creditor amend my score improved 30 pts.  Nothing since then and now Bang!!   I am not seeking credit anytime soon but just curious why it would happen without a change on my reports.  thanks for responding.  I am not familiar with rebuckeating though. What happens with that? 

FICO has scorecards (aka buckets) that group people with similar credit histories together. It's alot like when you were in school & your tests got graded on a curve, rather than on a set point basis. I believe FICO now has 12 scorecards (aka buckets), which are just like rungs on a ladder. Each rung has its own minimum and  maximum score that can be achieved while on that rung. You get moved up & down based on your past and present credit behavior. The 4 bottom rungs are where people with major events (bankrupcy, public records, etc.) are placed. Their credit score can only go so high for as long as they are stuck on these rungs. Only after the major derog falls off their report can they move up out of the bottom 4 rungs of the ladder. If you have no major derogatory stuff on your report, then you start your journey somewhere above the bottom 4 rungs. The top rung is for people with stellar credit reports. They got there by having really, really long & perfect history. So as you make your climb up the ladder, you go from being at the top of your class on one rung to being at the bottom of your class on the next rung up. (thats why your score drops when you get rebucketed- you are now being compared to all the other people who are already on that higher rung.) If you get into credit trouble, you'll quickly tumble down this ladder. The higher up you are, the harder you'll fall. Hope this kind of explains it.

Message 8 of 14
MBCLA

This seems to be the most plausible explanation. The system doesn't make sense.. to pay off bad debts in full and instead of improvment on the scoring scale, you're penalized. In other words, my score gets lowered for paying my debts....lol.

I do have a tax lien which has been on my report for 3 years and was certainly there 4 months ago when I had a much higher score nearly 700.. Só your theory of rebucketing seems to be correct. I am just glad I got out of the credit score game so the lowering of my score has no immediate affect on lifestyle or interest rates... I pay no interest.

I was curious, however, why such a dramatic drop would happen when I had no changes, no collections, no inquiries, and paid all other debts which were removed from my credit file using the methods suggested on this forum (excluding the tax lien..that's next).

So it seems you are likely correct.. REBUCKETING.
Message 9 of 14
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

@MBCLA wrote:
This seems to be the most plausible explanation. The system doesn't make sense.. to pay off bad debts in full and instead of improvment on the scoring scale, you're penalized. In other words, my score gets lowered for paying my debts....lol.

I do have a tax lien which has been on my report for 3 years and was certainly there 4 months ago when I had a much higher score nearly 700.. Só your theory of rebucketing seems to be correct. I am just glad I got out of the credit score game so the lowering of my score has no immediate affect on lifestyle or interest rates... I pay no interest.

I was curious, however, why such a dramatic drop would happen when I had no changes, no collections, no inquiries, and paid all other debts which were removed from my credit file using the methods suggested on this forum (excluding the tax lien..that's next).

So it seems you are likely correct.. REBUCKETING.

Yes, I would think either you got rebucketed or like User5387 said, MyFico switched their scoring model from the 04 model to the most recent one. Given that the new model has tweaked the scoring formula in a few key areas, you'd likely see a change in score. I don't know for sure if they actually rolled out the new model yet or not & all I get is robo-responses when I email customer service.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.