Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 cards 3 with balances

tag
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

11 cards 3 with balances

Do I close? Most i don't use and others I use for small purchases when needed then pay.  Most are store cards that I used to get the discount.  Have a 725 credit  score.

Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 11 cards 3 with balances

I think it really depends on old the accounts are you want to close, for AAoA.

Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

First, read this: Closing Credit Cards

Closing CC's won't hurt your AAoA, because closed accounts are included in scoring. Closed accounts generally stay on your reports for 10 years, although they sometimes fall off early (or stay longer.)

If you do decide to close, keep enough open to cover the number of cards that you usually let report balances. If three cards normally report balances, keep 7 open: two times the number of cards with balances, plus one. If four cards normally report balances, keep 9 open. This will help avoid the ding for "too many CC's with balances" (reason code #23 on Equifax and TransUnion.)

When choosing which cards to close, shoot for the younger cards. And whatever you do, keep the oldest account open, unless there is just something completely horrendous about it. Although closed accounts still can count for longest history, when it falls off you might well miss that old account.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

This sounds FABULOUS. I find it difficut to improve on this by closing any accounts unless you have any accounts with fees.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you close an account, all you are assured of instantly losing is  its CL in your % util calculation, and then, only provided it is closed with no balance.

Loss of a CC and its CL to your overall % util is just not a gain.

As has been said, closed accounts still account in your AAoA calcualtion, so no immediate gain or loss there.

Accounts closed by you never delete any prior credit reporting of derogs done on the account,  So you cant do your own CR deltion of derogs by closing an account.

Most account closures are done to avoid recurring charges on an open account. 
Financial, not FICO scoring. issues/

Message 5 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

First, read this: Closing Credit Cards

Closing CC's won't hurt your AAoA, because closed accounts are included in scoring. Closed accounts generally stay on your reports for 10 years, although they sometimes fall off early (or stay longer.)

If you do decide to close, keep enough open to cover the number of cards that you usually let report balances. If three cards normally report balances, keep 7 open: two times the number of cards with balances, plus one. If four cards normally report balances, keep 9 open. This will help avoid the ding for "too many CC's with balances" (reason code #23 on Equifax and TransUnion.)

When choosing which cards to close, shoot for the younger cards. And whatever you do, keep the oldest account open, unless there is just something completely horrendous about it. Although closed accounts still can count for longest history, when it falls off you might well miss that old account.

+1. Try hard to keep the oldest one open as it will help point wise down the road maybe more than you think.

Message 6 of 7
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

This reminds me that I need another card to make it an odd number. Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.