Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 point score drop any reason why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

11 point score drop any reason why?

i just checked my fico score on equifax today and my score has dropped this month. the only thing on my report that has changed is my cl on my visa. my visa cl was increased in the last 30 days ($1000 to $10000) so my utilization is even less then it was before (less then 1% vs 5%)

my loc is $5000 cl was owing $251 min payment of $50 july 21/2008
td visa is 1000 cl was owing $0 min payment of $0 july 21/2008 months reviewed visa=22 loc=13

fico score 782 july 21 2008

loc $5000 cl was owing $81 min payment of $50 aug19/2008
td visa $10000 cl was owing $74 min payment $10 aug19/2008
months reviewed visa=23 loc=15

fico score 771 aug 19 2008

no new hard or soft checks on my reports from equifax. i was hoping my score would have gone up but it seems that my cl increase combined with paying down my petty balance back fired.

more bad news= i recieved a cl increase on my visa of $5000 (visa cl is now $15000) also asked td visa to change my td green visa to a td emerald visa. no credit check, preapproved

the td green visa has a interest rate of 19.75%
the td emerald visa has a interest rate of 8.75%

this is not a new tradeline i still only have 1 cc. the grren and the emorald are 1 cc. the green card will stop working next week somtime when i receive the emorald visa in the mail.

how much more of a score drop can i expect from this? any ideas?

i was under the usumption that a higher cl limit with a lower utilization less then 1% as well as longer history (1 month longer on the visa/2 months longer on loc) would help my score. it looks like i was wrong.

should i attempt to reverse the changes? have visa lower my limit back to $1000 and tell them i do not want to change green visa to emorald visa? and keep the green visa till it expires next year?

cl= credit limit
td= toronto dominion or td canada trust, (the bank)
loc= line of credit
cc= credit card

did i forget to mention anything?????

thanks for your time
maddog

Message Edited by maddog7667 on 08-19-2008 11:20 AM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Established Contributor

Re: score dropped due to visa cl increase causing lower utilization

To the best of my knowledge achieving $10,000 credit card limits might be some kind of a FICO scoring threshold. It has been proposed by a "creditable" source that having at least three credit cards each with a minimum of a $10,000 credit limit will maximize the chances of high Fico Scores. My personal observations of my own credit reports seem to confirm this assumption.

My guess is that you might be in a new scoring bucket. A credit limit of $15,000 is a good thing. The higher limit will help you obtain another $10,000 card. You will have to decide for yourself if you believe that it would be to your advantage to set a three card/$10,000 goal.

In any event, never let a temporary drop of a few points cause you to ask for lower limits on your lines of credit. That would be like asking for a cut in pay becuase a recent pay raise caused you to pay more income taxes.Smiley Wink

You asked "how much more of a score drop can i expect from this? any ideas?"
There is no way for anyone to give you an acurate answer to that question. It is best to wait and see what actually happens. In any event I would trade higher limits for lower scores anytime. Eventually the higher limits will lead to higher scores. 

Message Edited by CreditAble on 08-19-2008 03:04 PM

Message Edited by CreditAble on 08-19-2008 03:13 PM
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your reply CreditAble.

do you have any kind of idea how much a loc helps the fico score? td bank says they are harder to get then a cc. and no differnce between $5000 loc or $10000/higher loc. you just have a loc for credit needs. i think they are good. 6.75% interest rate.

i am not sure having more cc is the best way of hitting 800+ maybe in the usa. in canada credit seems harder to get. differnt regulations and such then in the usa. similar but differnt. charged off accounts even just 1 hit your score harder can knock 200+ points from your score(when my chraged off cibc saving account of $153 was removed my score went up 153 ponts on equifax and 137 on tranunion. it was due for drop off june2010) amigine if i had 2 or more charge off's? and it was only $153 dollars.

but i have been thinking of a mastercard just in case they dont take visa. ill have to find a good bank that offers them. i will not get a capitol one mastercard. capitol one seems to greedy on late fees/over the limit fees/dropping your limit/changing your interst rate/and i am sure more.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 11 point score drop any reason why?

There is no evidence buckets are tied to credit lines.

If it is true that your oldest account is just over 2 years  old (25 months reviewed) then you were likely rebucketed, but not for credit line changes, for length of credit history. You should regain your points in time. You have a great score and even though you took a hit you are in great shape for the future.

Message 4 of 8
Established Contributor

"do you have any kind of idea how much a loc helps the fico score?"
Scorewise most revolving LOCs would be treated more or less like credit cards.
 Most of the LOCs I am aware of seem to be nothing more than a credit card without the card. The terms and fees seem to be the same as a credit card. There might be a difference in coding when reported to the bureaus, which could contribute to the tradeline providing a better mix than just having credit cards.

"you just have a loc for credit needs."
A credit card has a credit limit (instead of LOC amount) for credit needs.
 Unlike a credit card you can't make "fee free" purchases with a LOC. Usually, in the U.S. when using a LOC you must pay a transaction fee plus interest from day one of the loan.

"i think they are good. 6.75% interest rate."
Usually an LOC has additional fees similar to BT or Cash Advance fees for a credit card. The LOC terms also state that the interest rate can be raised anytime for any reason. That would mean that 6.75% is nothing more than a "promotional rate" just like a credit card introductory rate. Does your LOC charge fees in addition to the interest rate? Can the bank change the interest rate when ever it wants to? I assume that you do live in Canada and the loan product terms might be different than in the States.

"i am not sure having more cc is the best way of hitting 800+"
 Actually I am pretty sure that it is one of the best ways to maximize the potential for 800+. In any event there are plenty of other reasons to have more than two credit cards. Generally two different credit card companies will compete to be in the front of your wallet with higher CLs and lower interest rates. What happens when one of your two cards screw you over or otherwise takes AA (Adverse Action)?

You would be adding a third card in case one of your initial two cards were to take AA. Once AA is taken you might not be able to get the best of terms from a new (3rd) card provider. Some people experienced AA if they had both Bank of America and MBNA credit cards before the merger. I was one of the ones who did not. A Chase credit card with substantially more than a $10,000 limit was prominent on my credit reports warning BoA not to mess with me. As of now I am contemplating my fourth credit card in case either BoA or Chase AA me in the future.

Your only two lines of credit seem to be with the same provider. That is not good. All the eggs in one basket could get smashed at the same time whether you live in Canada or the U.S.Smiley Surprised

As it stands now it appears that you have a TD Visa Card with a CL of $15,000 and a TD LOC of $10,000. It would seem to me that both should be treated similarly by Fico scoring. In effect, you have two revolving lines of credit with limits equal to or exceeding $10K each. You might consider obtaining one additional credit card to motivate TD to keep treating you well. A new card doesn't have to be a $10K limit in the beginning. If the limit were to grow to $10K over time then you would have your three $10K tradelines. If the limit were to stay under $10K, no big deal. After all, you said that you weren't so sure that "three for $10K" was necessarily good for 800+ in Canada.

"I imagine if i had 2 or more charge off's? and it was only $153 dollars."
Are you really saying that you don't want multiple credit cards because you risk multiple charge offs? 

"but i have been thinking of a mastercard just in case they dont take visa. ill have to find a good bank that offers them."
 Now there ya go....Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

While most high achievers have greater than 2 accounts, long thin files are able to achieve 800+ scores. The right amount of cards is the one you can handle comfortably. Increased mix and multiple tradelines are helpful but necessary components of an 800+ score.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you really saying that you don't want multiple credit cards because you risk multiple charge offs?
no thats not what i am saying. that $153 in bank fees on a saving account caused me a lot of headache and problems. i also think it was petty for cibc to to what they did. sorry its not my fault i dont like unexpected/unexplained extra fees like 5 bucks to cash my cheque from work that cibc stared charging 4 months after i opened the saving account i never changed my employer's so i stopped cashing my cheques at cibc.2 years went by before i realized that it was on my credit reports 24 months worth of missed payments. it is been long paid. i feel cibc went furthur then they had to, and went out of their way to maximize the damage they could inflict, so i am still bitter towards that bank.

Does your LOC charge fees in addition to the interest rate?
no i dont think there are any fees never seen any or had any. i have never been late pay the min. the interest rate when i opened the loc was 8.25% in april 07. the highest balance i ever let be reported was $1850. min payment was $55. i know that there is a differnce between secured and unsecured loc. secured gives you lower interst rate possibly higher limit. unsecured are harder to get have a higher interst rate /lower limits. my loc is secured with a gic. my loc is $5000. its a varable interest rate based on td prime 4.75%

What happens when one of your two cards screw you over or otherwise takes AA (Adverse Action)? i never thought about it. i think td may take AA if i was responsible for initating the AA by being late or not make a payment withen 60 days, running away never to be seen again.

if i was to find my self applying for a mastercard what kind of score drop can i expect? 50 to 100 points or more?

my trade lines are young would getting a cc sooner benifit me more then waiting for them to age more?

for the long run getting one sooner would be better then waiting i think.

maddog

Message Edited by maddog7667 on 08-19-2008 10:13 PM
Message 7 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

debtisgood wrote:
While most high achievers have greater than 2 accounts, long thin files are able to achieve 800+ scores. The right amount of cards is the one you can handle comfortably. Increased mix and multiple tradelines are helpful but necessary components of an 800+ score.

Yes! My SIL has a very thin file and her scores are over 800. She has a 14 year history with a high AAoAs.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.