Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

129 point difference

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

129 point difference

I understand they use different models, but I am stumped at how both FICO8 and FICO9 could both be statistically significant predictors with such an enormous difference between the two scores.  I just pulled an Experian report after some of my bads got axed and my FICO8 came back at 630.  My FICO9 is 749 off of the same report.  So crazy that the same data would give such wildly different numbers.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: 129 point difference

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand they use different models, but I am stumped at how both FICO8 and FICO9 could both be statistically significant predictors with such an enormous difference between the two scores.  I just pulled an Experian report after some of my bads got axed and my FICO8 came back at 630.  My FICO9 is 749 off of the same report.  So crazy that the same data would give such wildly different numbers.

Wow that is huge. I've probably never seen more than a 20 or 30 point spread between the two in my profile.

Here's a list of some possible differences. Much of it is just chatter, not scientific data, but maybe it will give you some clues:

Possible differences between FICO 9 & FICO 8:
-paid collections not counted in 9
-unpaid collections given more weight in 9
-medical collections given less weight in 9
-rental history counted in 9
-recent inquiries given less weight in 9
-average age of accounts given less weight in 9
-no. of accts reporting balance given more weight in 9
-premium for open as opposed to closed installment loans reduced in 9
-installment balance to loan ratio given more weight in 9 than 8

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

-paid collections not counted in 9
-rental history counted in 9
-recent inquiries given less weight in 9
-average age of accounts given less weight in 9

That would do it.  3 paid nuisance collections are sitting out there collecting dust from years ago.  I also have a spotless rental history, a recent credit app spree and a 3 year AAoA.  

Message 3 of 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Yep - Collections can result in a 100 point difference. However, likely something else is in play as well given the 129 points.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 6
Appleman
Valued Contributor

There is a thread that indicates PenFed is using FICO09. With such adifference it might be time to apply if you already not a member.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already had a checking account with them and a portion of my pay being direct depositted to them so I could have a relationship built when my score got right.  The pulled EQ FICO9 of 700.  I had one old nuisance medical marked unpaid so they rejected me outright.  So sad  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.