Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 point drop with removal of fraduelnt account that was never paid on

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

13 point drop with removal of fraduelnt account that was never paid on

I experienced something like this when 3 collections items fell off and my Vantage score droped 60 points, but at that time I didn't have my Fico scores to compare.    I've been monitoring my Fico scores for a few weeks now on CCT and can verify that this same phenonemon - a drop in score when a baddie was removed - happened with Fico as well.   An account that was opened by someone else, who went over the limit and never paid on it - was removed from Equifax.  That score fell 13 points.   It was also removed from Experian - that one fell 10 points. This was the only change to occur from the time the socres were 13 and 10 points higher, respectivily.

I have plenty of other accounts in good standing and a positive 13 year credit hisotry. Since not a single payment was made, it was over the limit and had charged off, I see no logical reason how this account could have helped my credit score.

I had a credit socre of 700 before my identity was stolen.  As the deragatory items from the theft fall off my score keeps getting lower, not higher. I hope someone can explain this to me in a way that will give me hope that my score won't end up in the 500s when this is all said and done.   I'm honestly very close to despairing and giving up.  I don't think these credit scoring models are fair or reliable to consumers at all. Hoping someone can make me think differently.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: 13 point drop with removal of fraduelnt account that was never paid on

How old is this account?  It could have affected your AAoA.  I had an account drop off and it dropped my AAoA from 7 years to 6 years and my score dropped.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

You mentioned you have a 13 year payment history but that you have other derogatories on there too.

If you're in the middle of disputes and what not, don't worry about your score: it's going to do strange things and it's going to fluctuate... curse of a busy file.  Just keep getting the negative data off: focus on getting clean as that's the winning state, though with an optimized dirty file you can get 740-750ish when talking FICO 8 if you have solid payment history behind it.

In general I suspect the CCT monitoring has the same lack of resolution issues we see here for MF, that's just the way credit monitoring solutions work currently unfortunately.

        
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account that was removed was very new compared to my other accounts. It was not positively impacting AAoA.    It's pretty bizarre that it's even an option that a charge off, over the limit, never paid on, could improve a consumer's score in any way. The fact that that's even a possibilty is what I mean by these scoring models being unfair and unreliable.  

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

"In general I suspect the CCT has the same lack of resolution issues"?   What do you mean by this?   I haven't disputed, or otherwise tried to resolve anything through CCT.  Only using it to check my scores and monitor changes in my reports.

"If you're in the middle of disputes and what not, don't worry about your score: it's going to do strange things and it's going to fluctuate... curse of a busy file."  This is really not helpful and doesn't address the issue of why my score keeps falling when derogatories are removed. 

Message 5 of 7
DollyLama
Established Contributor

What was your overall utilization for last month and now?

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

"In general I suspect the CCT has the same lack of resolution issues"?   What do you mean by this?   I haven't disputed, or otherwise tried to resolve anything through CCT.  Only using it to check my scores and monitor changes in my reports.

"If you're in the middle of disputes and what not, don't worry about your score: it's going to do strange things and it's going to fluctuate... curse of a busy file."  This is really not helpful and doesn't address the issue of why my score keeps falling when derogatories are removed. 

Meaning score changes don't track 1:1 with the reported reason. 

To try to rephrase: if you're going through the dispute or similar processes for fraud / stolen identity, all bets are off at predicting your score or even suggesting why it's reacting the way it is, so don't worry about it, focus on fixing your file and then see where the score is after you're done.

Nobody can diagnose what's going on when your tradelines are in a state where they may or may not be counted with any degree of certititude, and that is what occurs when you're going through the process you state you're doing.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.