cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

130 Difference Between EQ & TU FICO Score!

tag
paix
Established Member

130 Difference Between EQ & TU FICO Score!

Ok... last week I only pulled my EQ Fico from myfico. It was 609. I thought ok... I'll leave it at that. I didn't think to pull my TU score at the time.

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading on these boards in the last few days so I thought I should pull my TU score just to see where I'm at. Well hello.... my TU score is 479! I don't even know what to say....

The TU report did not list a few credit cards which are now closed. TU only had my student loans on there. My student loan payment is up to date but I did have a few lates on there. Plus, I consolidated my student loans back in 2006 so every single loan I took out reports... there is a total of 10 student loan report and since some of them have lates on it, it's flagged as negative. Smiley Sad

I'm curious to see what EX will report as my score! Is there any way to find out since they no longer provide this to consumers?

But I still don't understand the 130 point difference between these two scores! Wow... I feel like all the hopes I've had reading these boards in the past few days just disappeared, now knowing that my TU score is that low.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 130 Difference Between EQ & TU FICO Score!

Where did you get your TU score? Assuming you also got it from myFICO, then compare both side by side. Start with the Credit At A Glance page and look for differences. Anything like the number of baddies reporting, number of accounts with negative indicators, balances, etc., all can impact the score by a large margin. A new collection alone, for example, can easily drop scores in the high double digits to 100+. Also compare the 2nd and 3rd pages. Those tell you what helps or hurts the scores the most. Once accounts are closed, they typically will report for up to 10 more years, but nothing precludes the OC from dropping them earlier. The only two places you can get your EX FICO is your lender or from a CU in PA called PSECU. Other sites offer EX scores, but they aren't FICO scores.
Message 2 of 9
paix
Established Member

lllecs - I ordered my TU score here on myfico.

Thank you for the advice. I just finished comparing each report. Big difference. I have a total of 9 student loan reporting.

*2 student loans are correct and current and I am paying installments on, it is up-to-date with payment.

*1 of the student loan on the report is a loan that was consolidated. And I just noticed now that the status on this account is listed as "Collection"!!!! It is definitely not a collection as I am still making payments on this account (it was just consolidated with my other loans). On the TU report it is listed as Collection but on my EQ report is is listed as Pays Account as Agreed. I'm sure this one was a huge factor in why I'm now in the 400 club!

*6 student loan accounts that is now consolidated that have lots of "lates" on them. But only TU reported 90 & 130+ lates. My EQ report had two 30 late back in 2006.

My guess is something happened along the way when all the consolidating took place? I don't know. My TU report also had my address wrong. I just submitted a dispute for that online and then printed out their Investigation forms... but I don't know how the process works so I think I need to head over to the Re-Buidling Credit section and get some advice.

I knew my FICO score wasn't great at 609 but when I saw 479, my heart just stopped for a second.

Everyone needs to pay closer attention to every single detail. Wow... did I learn something today.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 85 point difference between Equifax and Transunion. I think Transunion is just entirely to stringent. I don't see anything different between the two reports, just the scores! Sucks!

Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 85 point difference between Equifax and Transunion. I think Transunion is just entirely to stringent. I don't see anything different between the two reports, just the scores! Sucks!

Hi Emeraldd and welcome to the forums!

It's extremely rare that both reports will have the exact information but it does happen of course. And even then TU and EQ will score that data a little differently. For instance TU tells me my "non-mortgage balances are too high" whereas EQ says nothing.

What does page 2 of each of your reports say? That page is titled "Understanding Your Score" and will list factors that hurt your score on the left side and factors that help your score on the right.

My TU score is 34 points less than my EQ but I don't really care much about it anymore. But an 85 point spread is alot. I'm not sure why just a large disparity.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of today my EQ is 514 and my EX is 725!  Go figure that one.  But that's according to the EQ website for their score and the EX score is from freecreditreport.com

In a week or two I'm gonna get my scores from this site.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a hot mess. All my scores came from this site except the Experian score. I don't see how they can  be so different. I'm not going to worry about it though. I'm just going to keep working on increasing the scores. I'm recovering from Ch7 4 months ago so with just one credit card, my credit has really went up.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called Transunion and asked them about the score. They told me that I need to pull their score and not FICO's score and it will be more correct. I don't know was it true or not but I just pulled it and my transunion score is 660. That is a BIG difference from the 559 score myfico had said. So which one do I believe?

Experian pull- 629

Transunion pull- 660; my fico 559

Equifax/my fico pull- 644

Message 8 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called Transunion and asked them about the score. They told me that I need to pull their score and not FICO's score and it will be more correct. I don't know was it true or not but I just pulled it and my transunion score is 660. That is a BIG difference from the 559 score myfico had said. So which one do I believe?

Experian pull- 629

Transunion pull- 660; my fico 559

Equifax/my fico pull- 644

That is totally FALSE. According to this page on the TU website TU now offers a VantageScore.

Not only is the scoring formulas for VS different than FICO but the score range is different. VS ranges from 501-990 while FICO score from 300-850. That's the reason the "score"  you got from TU is so much higher than the myFICO score.

My advice is to ignore that TU VantageScore and don't listen to the less than truthful CSR's at TU.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.