Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 Point decrease experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

14 Point decrease experian

So i noticed today my fico experian score dropped 14 points because balance dropped to 10 dollars on my bofa secured card? Why does paying off balance drop score? I am CONFUSED.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 14 Point decrease experian

I've given up trying to figure out the rhyme and reason for small movements like those. I had my EX drop 12 points last week. The only change in my entire profile was one inquiry from AMEX. Thought I had read that inquiries only affect scores by 3-4 points, but nothing else in my entire report changed besides that. And it was only my 2nd inquiry at that credit bureau. I know the frustration!!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused too, 

balance drop from $80 to $35 + 8 Experian    -4 on Equifax and TransUnion.

balance increase $40 from $0 balance + 4 Experian    -4 on Equifax and TransUnion.

I do see better jumps balance decrease from $500 balance to $200 gets a least +12 or more  on all 3. 

Message 3 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So i noticed today my fico experian score dropped 14 points because balance dropped to 10 dollars on my bofa secured card? Why does paying off balance drop score? I am CONFUSED.

Its not always the obvious that make your score change. once you learn that you will know how to look at all aspects of  your credit and understand. in this case. it is probably not the actual balance but depending on how many cards you have. and out of those. how many have a balance on them. regardless of the amount. ive had score drops with a $2 balance. and soon as i paid it off. and left 0 on that card. my score went back up. It is normal for scores to flucuate 20 points or so each month. there is not need to panic on such trivial things. when you need to apply for something try and get as low as possible in utilization and that will help your scores. anyway. good luck.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bofa secured down to 0
Cap one cc unsecured 0
Fingerhut bal 57.22
Fnbo secured 0
Car loan 4k remaining
Student loan 6 k remaining
4 items in collection and past sol by the end of this year they will all drop offff.

Please let me know if i did somthing which caused drop im all ears...
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody?
Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It's really hard to point to something without looking at before and after credit reports honestly.  Even then might not be able to isolate the change.

FWIW I'm a little dubious of the EX monitoring here for isolating changes: it just doesn't update frequently enough to really be useful at least with my report.  EQ is the only one that has enough updates that I'm able to isolate changes... for EX I'm stuck pulling scores from here if I really want to figure out a change, and that sucks.  At least for me and my wallet anyway.

        
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back again with 9 point drop on my transunion. Paid full bal before statement date as a result im down to 0 percent utilization.

I feel like a dumbass asking this but should i see increase on my points? Why am i seeing negative impact on my scores? Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.