cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17 point DECREASE in my score because I used my credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

17 point DECREASE in my score because I used my credit card?

So I normally run a 2% UTI on my credit cards and always pay them off each month. Last week I made one purchase on my Wells Fargo Visa of $1555.00. My limit is $7500.00 and my Equifax score dropped today from 838 to 821 and my Experian dropped from 746 to 743 while Transunion stayed at 823. What in the world is going on with this? Certainly using less than 20% of your cards limit would not cause such a decrease? Thanks 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 17 point DECREASE in my score because I used my credit card?

Hello AMXBlack!  Hope you had a happy Christmas.

It looks like you have six cards:

AMX Green (25k)

Wells Fargo Visa (7500)

GM Card (15k)

NC State Employees (3500)

AMX Business Gold Card (65K)
Wells Fargo Business Card (15K)

It looks like the last two are business cards.  Are any of the first four cards business cards?  It's likely that FICO does not count any business cards toward your personal credit profile, for instance total credit limit (etc.).

Let's assume that FICO looks at your profile and views you as having four cards (AMEX, WF VISA, GM Card, NCSE).

It sounds like your Wells Fargo Visa had a $0 for at least a few months in a row, and then it reported with a $1500 balance.  You are right that your score drop was not cause by that card having a 20% utilization.  But what did happen is that you reduced the number of cards that were showing a $0 balance.  FICO likes it when it sees several $0 balance cards. 

If you had three cards with a positive balance, and then the WFV reported positive, that caused you to go from 75% of your cards with a positive balance to 100% of your cards with a positive balance.

If you had two cards with a positive balance, and then the WFV reported positive, that caused you to go from 50% of your cards with a positive balance to 75% of your cards with a positive balance.

"Number of accounts showing a positive balance" is one of the factors that affects your FICO score.

The good news is that the "damage" that this does to your score is very temporary.  As soon as you start having two or three cards with a $0 balance, you will gain back all the points you lost.  This factor (as well as utilization %) is an easy factor to control.  It's why you will often hear on the forum the advice that, any time you want to maximize your score for an important credit pull, just pay all your cards to $0 except one and leave something small report on that remaining card.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 17 point DECREASE in my score because I used my credit card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello AMXBlack!  Hope you had a happy Christmas.

It looks like you have six cards:

AMX Green (25k)

Wells Fargo Visa (7500)

GM Card (15k)

NC State Employees (3500)

AMX Business Gold Card (65K)
Wells Fargo Business Card (15K)

It looks like the last two are business cards.  Are any of the first four cards business cards?  It's likely that FICO does not count any business cards toward your personal credit profile, for instance total credit limit (etc.).

Let's assume that FICO looks at your profile and views you as having four cards (AMEX, WF VISA, GM Card, NCSE).

It sounds like your Wells Fargo Visa had a $0 for at least a few months in a row, and then it reported with a $1500 balance.  You are right that your score drop was not cause by that card having a 20% utilization.  But what did happen is that you reduced the number of cards that were showing a $0 balance.  FICO likes it when it sees several $0 balance cards. 

If you had three cards with a positive balance, and then the WFV reported positive, that caused you to go from 75% of your cards with a positive balance to 100% of your cards with a positive balance.

If you had two cards with a positive balance, and then the WFV reported positive, that caused you to go from 50% of your cards with a positive balance to 75% of your cards with a positive balance.

"Number of accounts showing a positive balance" is one of the factors that affects your FICO score.

The good news is that the "damage" that this does to your score is very temporary.  As soon as you start having two or three cards with a $0 balance, you will gain back all the points you lost.  This factor (as well as utilization %) is an easy factor to control.  It's why you will often hear on the forum the advice that, any time you want to maximize your score for an important credit pull, just pay all your cards to $0 except one and leave something small report on that remaining card.

Thank you

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.