cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Loans Transfered - Killing My Score...

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

2 Loans Transfered - Killing My Score...

So i guess my two student loans were transferred to another lender and according to credit karma they were "closed"...

Credit Karma also says that my AAoA has dropped to 1 year 6 months...this is KILLING my score...it went from a 726 Credit Karma to a 695...not that that score matters, but is that normal that the account is just not counting towards my AAoA now?

I wonder if it was just totally removed? I had some lates on it from over 2 years ago so i dono if thats really a good thing or bad thing if thats the case...

these are direct loans transfered to "EdFinancial" servicer...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Re: 2 Loans Transfered - Killing My Score...

I know little about student loans but you may get hit again when the transferred loans show up as new accounts. All depends i guess on just what all they transfer. I think you will have to wait and see how they report them, then figure out what if anything you can do. Folks in the know here say accounts being closed do not negatively impact your aaoa for fico scores, but i know credit karma says they do. Since they dont use the fico scoring model it is hard to know just how they apply it.
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@shane82388 wrote:

So i guess my two student loans were transferred to another lender and according to credit karma they were "closed"...

Credit Karma also says that my AAoA has dropped to 1 year 6 months...this is KILLING my score...it went from a 726 Credit Karma to a 695...not that that score matters, but is that normal that the account is just not counting towards my AAoA now?

I wonder if it was just totally removed? I had some lates on it from over 2 years ago so i dono if thats really a good thing or bad thing if thats the case...

these are direct loans transfered to "EdFinancial" servicer...

CK only counts open accounts in their calculation of AAoA so you can't rely on their figure. FICO figures both open and closed accounts in AAoA.

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

When the loans were transferred did the date open remain the same at the lender where they were transferred to? From you post it does not sound like it.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.