Not applicable

21 points lost in 1 month - and nothing happened

My TU FICO lost 21 points in a  single month. In that time there were

No new Inquiries

No new Trade Lines or increases/decreases to existing Trade Lines

The balance on all credit cards remained at $0

No delinquencies of any kind

No installment loans taken out or paid off

Can anyone explain the 21 point loss? I can see +/- 5 points or so, but not 21. FICO v8.

I have a mortgage on the line with this. The mortgage apps were all in May and JuneTU Points Lost.png

11 REPLIES 11
taekwon
Regular Contributor

Re: 21 points lost in 1 month - and nothing happened

The only thing I can think of is if your utl reported at 0 after reporting a % the previous month. It happened to me a few months ago. I usually show 2-3% total utl but I paid all balances in full one month and my scores dropped 15-18pts on all three CB. The next month I reported 3% utl and all the points returned.

Starting Scores: EQ 598, EX 566, TU 550, 3/31/13 ....... Goal Score: 830
Current Scores: EQ 845, EX 841, TU 836 ..................... Inq: EQ: 0, EX: 1, TU: 1

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope - utilization has been at 0% for 4 months, no credit card use at all.

Message 3 of 12
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Similar thing has happened to me with Transunion. 20 or points drop over a 4 month timeframe with no explanation.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 4 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope - utilization has been at 0% for 4 months, no credit card use at all.

Utilization, statement balances, should not be zero on all cards. 

You probably had a huge run up in score with the baddies removed but the score is still trying to sort through all the factors, including utilization. All at zero drops your score

When does your next statement print? I would ensure that card reports a $10 balance to get you away from All Zero. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get a tank of gas about once a week, so the next 2 tanks will be on my two credit cards ($1000 limit between them).

Message 6 of 12
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

There's a reason you just haven't spotted it yet.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 7 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No new Inquiries

Can anyone explain the 21 point loss? I can see +/- 5 points or so, but not 21. FICO v8.

I have a mortgage on the line with this. The mortgage apps were all in May and JuneTU Points Lost.png

1. It's inaccurate to say you lost 21 points. You lost 16 points in TU on July 31st.

2. It's impossible to know what happened without seeing your pre-July 31st TU report and your post-July 31st TU report. Since there's a mortgage on the line, it's worth springing for your TU full report. 

3.  If the TU 7/31 report has all your cards at zero, while it was previously showing 1 card reporting a balance, that would have accounted for the drop, as FICO 8 abhors all zeroes.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No new Inquiries

1. It's inaccurate to say you lost 21 points. You lost 16 points in TU on July 31st.

2. It's impossible to know what happened without seeing your pre-July 31st TU report and your post-July 31st TU report. Since there's a mortgage on the line, it's worth springing for your TU full report. 

3.  If the TU 7/31 report has all your cards at zero, while it was previously showing 1 card reporting a balance, that would have accounted for the drop, as FICO 8 abhors all zeroes.

1: I lost 5 points on July 2 and 16 on July 31. That is 21 points

2: There are absolutely no changes in the TU report from one to the other. I have the FICO alerts on and FICO would have told me of a change.

3: Both cards were at a $0 balance in both reports.
Message 9 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No new Inquiries

1: I lost 5 points on July 2 and 16 on July 31. That is 21 points

2: There are absolutely no changes in the TU report from one to the other. I have the FICO alerts on and FICO would have told me of a change.

3: Both cards were at a $0 balance in both reports.

OP. What the other guys are trying to point out and you have posted a few times is in blue. And for 4 months in a earlier post. Reporting zero on (all)  2 cards if thats how many you have, is the killer. Then you say a tank of gas on both cards you'll use.

If you only have 2 cards. Pay the one to 0 balance as you have been doing for 4 months. Let the other card report and post a statement of that tank of gas. Then pay the statement balance.  Your scores will go back up again. Possibly where they were before.

I did the same thing as the other guys above posted and paid off all my balances one month by mistake. Same drop as you. It bounced right back up the next month having 1 card report again. Never have all 0's reporting if its 2 or 22 cards. GL.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.