cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

26 POINT INCREASE, 802 CREDIT SCORE

tag
MrBenchMark

26 POINT INCREASE, 802 CREDIT SCORE

My credit score just jumped up 26 points from 776 to 802, which is great and I'll take it, but I don't understand how. You see, they said it went up due to one of my account balances decreasing by $1,479, but what I don't understand is how this caused my score to increase by 26 points but at the same time this same accounts statement balance is paid off every month and those balances range anywhere from $4,000-$5,000. 

I don't get it because I thought these things were monitored daily but if that's so, how can I account for my score increasing by 26 points because of a $1,479 decrease (which I don't know where that amount came from) and statement balances are paid off for 2-3 times that amount every month but there's nothing ever mentioned about that like it never happened. It reminds me of when I paid my car loan off with a $6,000 payment about a year ago. I anticipated my score to skyrocket or at least increase with some sort of mention, and it never happened; it was like it never happened, no increase and no mention of any accout being paid down or off. 

Credit Scores as of 4/11/16

Experian 780
TransUnion 813
Equifax 779
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MrBenchMark

Re: 26 POINT INCREASE, 802 CREDIT SCORE

Am I to assume no one has an answer? lol....

Experian 780
TransUnion 813
Equifax 779
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy Great Job to answer your question more information is needed. As your post did not make sense. I agree with you a 26 point increase  seems steep based on numbers given. Continue to do great! 

Message 3 of 7
MrBenchMark

Hmmmmm, not sure what else I need to write for it to makew more sense.

My question had to do with basically why FICO recognize a balance decrease of a little less than $1,500 and as a result my FICO score increases 26 points, but I pay a credit card statement balance off on a monthly basis of $4,000-5,000 and NOTHING is ever mentioned or noticed, like it never happened. Like I wrote in the initial post about how it reminded me how I had paid my car off with a one time payment of $6,000 and thought that would be noticed and as a result my score would increase and neither happened; nothing was noticed and my score didn't increase. 

Experian 780
TransUnion 813
Equifax 779
Message 4 of 7
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

Congrats on your 800+ score. I have found that MyFico's reasons for score changes are limited and you to check your reports carefully to find the cause.  Your score increased 26 points and you had a balance decrease but the big score jump may be for other reasons that are not reported. For example, inqs falling off, account aging, etc. are not reported by SW with score changes. As an example, I had a very small balance change reported (from $117 or so  to around $50)  and my myfico EQ score increased 7 points and mentioned the balance decrease. But I knew the two were not related because a couple of INQs fell off at the same time.

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 5 of 7
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@MrBenchMark wrote:

Hmmmmm, not sure what else I need to write for it to makew more sense.

My question had to do with basically why FICO recognize a balance decrease of a little less than $1,500 and as a result my FICO score increases 26 points, but I pay a credit card statement balance off on a monthly basis of $4,000-5,000 and NOTHING is ever mentioned or noticed, like it never happened. Like I wrote in the initial post about how it reminded me how I had paid my car off with a one time payment of $6,000 and thought that would be noticed and as a result my score would increase and neither happened; nothing was noticed and my score didn't increase. 

Okay, I'll try to explain it a bit if I can.

30% of your FICO score is determined by reported utilization.(UTI) Your UTI is the percentage of your credit that you use. The way that you determine your utilization percentage is by adding up all your credit cards' reported balances and dividing them by the total of all your credit cards' credit lines.

As an example:

You have 5 credit cards and each card has a credit line of $1000. So the total of all your credit lines is $5000.

You have a total of $1000 in reported balances across all the cards.

So you take the $1000 in total balances and divide them by $5000 in credit lines and that equals 20% utilization. (UTI)

FICO will start to nick your score if your UTI is above 10%. The more your UTI climbs above 10% the worse the nicks become and it is not a straight line. When you go over 30% it becomes really noticeable. Over 50% another big hit and it gets worse the closer you get to 100%.

But you say that you pay in full every month?

You are paying too late and not enough to keep the balances that are reported to the credit reporting agencies at a low UTI. If the balances that show up on your statements show that your UTI is above 10% it is hurting your scores. Yes, I know, I know! To maintain high scores you need to have credit but not show that you use very much of it! I know, it's pretty ridiculous but that's how it works.

There are 2 ways to fix this problem:

1.Pay your balances down at least 3 days before the statement due date. Now I don't mean the "statement" balance but the ACTUAL balance that you will find when you go online and check the account's current balance at least 3 days before the due date. You don't have to pay them to $0 and you really shouldn't. (That's another story in itself.) but you should pay them to below 9% of their respective credit lines.

2.Get more credit to increase the size of your credit lines so when you do your normal spend each month you only use less than 10% of the total of your credit lines.

I hope I guessed right. I was guessing that you were allowing large balances to show up on your statements each month and then paying them in full. Amirite?

About the auto loan...

It is beneficial to have an open installment loan on your credit reports. When you pay off the last installment loan on your reports your scores will drop! Yes, you heard me right! Your scores will drop after your last installment loan is paid off. Okay, I'm guessing again! You have a mortgage or another auto loan on your reports? That's why your scores didn't drop!

You gain points for having an open installment loan on your reports and with your scores (I'm guessing again!) I bet you have a mortgage that is at least 10 years old and more like 20 years old?

Well?

How wrong was I?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 6 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

And let us not forget it could be rebucketing due to aging credit file and what not.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.