Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

26 Pt FICO drop suddenly

tag
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

26 Pt FICO drop suddenly

I dont understand way my FICO dropped 26 pts when my student loan account changed account numbers.  No balance changes, I have been paying on them ontime since they came into repayment. **bleep**?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 26 Pt FICO drop suddenly

Usual caveat of something else might've changed; however, I'd go look at the old vs newly reported tradeline and see what the original balance is set in this case. It's entirely plausible that something got mucked up (like this) with the account number change and it'll clear up on the next reporting cycle... had a lot of new accounts in my case recently report halfsie style missing some pretty salient information.

        
Message 2 of 4
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

On one of the 3 reports my student went from being reported as $0 to the current balance, but on the other reports, they were reporting the loan for years and the payments (those other 2 reports did not drop in score.) As if a "new" balance was reported so FICO algo punishes me on that one account.  Shouldn't they be obligated to back date the report to true representation of the acount?

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tjmolly wrote:

On one of the 3 reports my student went from being reported as $0 to the current balance, but on the other reports, they were reporting the loan for years and the payments (those other 2 reports did not drop in score.) As if a "new" balance was reported so FICO algo punishes me on that one account.  Shouldn't they be obligated to back date the report to true representation of the acount?

Is it right currently or wrong?

FICO 8 appears to have an aggregate installment utilization calculation, which is a simple ratio of sum of current balances to sum of original balances.

It's substantial enough in the algorithm this one change could count for that if suddenly your aggregate calc went from say <20% to >80%.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.