cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

34 point jump from paying $400 on a CC?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

34 point jump from paying $400 on a CC?!

My score just jumped 34 points today after my recent payment posted on my CC secured card. It has a $400 limit and I had it at $410 (didn't go over with charges but after statement posted I realized it was).

Anyways I paid it off as I always do and then I put like $20 in gas on it so when it reported it showed being paid down to the 20 and my scored jumped up 34 points. Bear in mind this is not my only CC and being an AU on a maxed out CC has my utilization at 99% (getting removed as AU this week). 

What caused it to jump so high? Simply being over the limit on that one card? I was just not expecting it to jump so much!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 34 point jump from paying $400 on a CC?!

Nice score jump.. Congrats.  Your score going up is dependant on a lot of factors..  So not just paying the CC.  Has anything else changed in your profile?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice score jump.. Congrats.  Your score going up is dependant on a lot of factors..  So not just paying the CC.  Has anything else changed in your profile?

Not since last month. It did jump last month too as I had two student loans reporting as 90 days up until last month when I FINALLY was granted a forebearance on past due months (I hate Chase). When that reported as current I jumped from about 550 to 570 (that one surprised me too). Since then no change, and then when my Cap One reported my last payment it was the only change on the account besides one more good month on the student loans, everything else is exactly the same. So that's why I was surprised to see it at 600.

I will say that it feels good to just in a matter of about a month and a half of starting to repair my credit I saw an increase from 550 to 600. Not that this is the right place for this but I also negotiated a two charged off CCs that I am going to pay in full this month, one agreed to remove the charged off status but the other wouldn't budge on anything, but I still think it will be better than not paying it as it is still showing as revolving credit balance.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded for what you said. I just get excited about this whole repairing thing ever since I worked my finances out.

Message 3 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

No problem with the explanation. The more information about a persons situation, the better advice and suggestions you can get.

Congratulations on the progress on getting your credit back in order!

I would guess the payment is only the trigger to look for a score update, and the changes from clearing up the baddies is the real score changer, not the $400 pmt. Many of those quiet changes aren't going to trigger a score update, so it is the balance changes that cause the score to catch up from all the quiet changes.

Good luck with the updates to your file!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.