Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35 point DROP!!! - UPDATE- ANOTHER HIT!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

35 point DROP!!! - UPDATE- ANOTHER HIT!

Ok everyone, I'm fuming right now.  I have been working hard on my credit from last years financial hardship and I probably check my scores daily at this point since I'm trying to get a mortgage.  Well, I have to get my card balances down and I had a charged off Chase auto account that had an $800 or so balance.  I also had my wifes car in my name that had a 15k balance that I took out of my name for DTI reasons but still have my car installment in my name as well.  On Friday, the rest of my credit card balances post to under 9% util, and my mortgage score was 627 on experian, which is my mid score.  Well today, the chase auto chargeoff posted a zero balance as well as the 15k car loan reported zero/paid balance.  My score then dropped 35 points!  NOTHING else posted, not collections, not other balances, nothing.  My loan officer used a tool and said that my score should have gone up 15 or so points for the chase balance paid, and the 15k car loan would have zero effect on it.  I dont get it.

Oh and just to add, Friday my FICO08 score was 635..went up to 647....

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: 35 point DROP!!!

If those were your only installment loans, you probably took a hit for credit mix.  Without installment loans and no mortgage, your score is based only on your CC history.

I don't recommend getting another loan to improve score.  You probably need to spend some time in the garden to get scores back up.  Bring util down to $2 on 1 account and let age.  I know it's hard to wait, but you have quite the recovery started!  Don't get disillusioned.  Smiley Happy  I went on an app spree and my highest score dropped 10 points, yet it recovered 4 of the ten points in just 6 days!

Credit repair is a marathon, not a sprint.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have student loans and my auto loan, so I should have a good mix still.  The loan officer said paying the second one off would have no impact according to his score tool.  I was set to close and lock into a new rate with this pull...now I'm looking at not even getting a loan at all.  Even made an offer on a house.  UGH!

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible I was rebucketed?  Seems like a pretty drastic change if so.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would tend to attribute the drop to the CO updating, if its been aging for a while, and it was not being updated monthly.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

CO was last updated in March 2015 as CO before score drop. Now April and May report ok and now its reporting zero/paid was a charge off.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok everyone, I'm fuming right now.  I have been working hard on my credit from last years financial hardship and I probably check my scores daily at this point since I'm trying to get a mortgage.  Well, I have to get my card balances down and I had a charged off Chase auto account that had an $800 or so balance.  I also had my wifes car in my name that had a 15k balance that I took out of my name for DTI reasons but still have my car installment in my name as well.  On Friday, the rest of my credit card balances post to under 9% util, and my mortgage score was 627 on experian, which is my mid score.  Well today, the chase auto chargeoff posted a zero balance as well as the 15k car loan reported zero/paid balance.  My score then dropped 35 points!  NOTHING else posted, not collections, not other balances, nothing.  My loan officer used a tool and said that my score should have gone up 15 or so points for the chase balance paid, and the 15k car loan would have zero effect on it.  I dont get it.

Oh and just to add, Friday my FICO08 score was 635..went up to 647....

There's your answer. Paying a charged off auto loan is not going to increase your scores. The loan officer's simulator was possibly seeing that account as a CC charge off and counting it against UTI%, hence the anticipated score increase with the payoff, or it was ismulating a FICO 8 score rather than FICO 4. The drop would have come from the account updating and looking "fresh". Your scores should rebound as it ages.

FICO 8 scores paid CO's and Collections better than unpaid.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CO was last updated in March 2015 as CO before score drop. Now April and May report ok and now its reporting zero/paid was a charge off.

Maybe the OK reporting for those two months is throwing it off. Hopefully with it paid it will age and your score should rebound pretty quickly.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope so.  My lender said they can still work with my scores but I am going to have a higher interest rate.  I can deal with that and refi in a year or so.  Just frustrating that you work so hard to do the right thing and pay debts and it hurts you.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, thats one of the "issues" I have with the scoring system as well. Clearly someone who pays off old debt should be considered a better risk than those that simply let them age off.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.