cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36 pt. difference in Walmart TU and myfico TU?

tag
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: 36 pt. difference in Walmart TU and myfico TU?

@Revelate wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

walmart is TU08, lenders pull TU04, and myFICO is TU98

Mortgage lenders pull TU04 (guarunteed atm); however, everyone else is free to use whatever version they want and it's a challenge to tell what particular version was used unfortunately.  

Yeah I think Barclays uses the TU98.

Message 11 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@beb86 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

walmart is TU08, lenders pull TU04, and myFICO is TU98

Mortgage lenders pull TU04 (guarunteed atm); however, everyone else is free to use whatever version they want and it's a challenge to tell what particular version was used unfortunately.  

Yeah I think Barclays uses the TU98.

Yeah, rumor had it that NFCU uses it too at times, but it's incredibly hard to tell from anecdotal evidence without several data points lining up and I don't think they have in this case.  Personally I tend not to worry about it; however, whenever I do actually apply for another card of some sort (or even mortgage even though I know that's '04) I will likely pre-pay my Amex charge card just in case anyway Smiley Happy.

        
Message 12 of 15
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

My understanding from reading about the TU from WalMart is that it is considered more "consumer friendly." I'm not sure what that means...but it's been posted that it may not count small collection accounts, etc. I don't know what the truth is.

What I do know is that my TU FICO from this site (TU 98) is 772. My TU FICO from the WalMart card (TU 08) is 817. That's a whopping difference.

I'm not sure I have much faith in the TU 08 from WalMart. It might make us feel better, but I don't think lenders use it (either credit card or mortgage). My EQ FICO is 785, and that leads me to have more faith in this site's TU FICO, because the two are closer together. I don't truly think I'm an 817 as my WalMart TU says. It would be nice, but I don't think it's reality. I actually got the WalMart card in order to get the free TU, and I had planned on cancelling my Quarterly TU monitoring through this site. I'm keeping it though. I think it's more realistic.

Message 13 of 15
tdoger
Established Member

This is definitely a YMMV thing.  My MyFICO TU is 784, Walmart is 739.  The only ding reporting is a 45 month old 30 day late, so I don't understand the "consumer friendly' notion for the 08 model.

Message 14 of 15
brother7
Established Contributor

In my case, Walmart, Credit Karma and a letter from GECRB are all very close.

11/8 Walmart 698

11/8 Credit Karma 695

11/16 Letter from GECRB 694

The letter from GECRB explained why I wasn't given the best interest rates on a new Paypal Extras MC. They pulled TU.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.